Accord transmission problem

I know this has been addressed before, but I didn't pay attention because at the time, I didn't have this problem, but now I do... Our 92 Accord 4-cyl automatic transmission (120,000 mi.) is shifting up-and-down randomly (5th to 4th, or 4th to 3rd) while driving. I also notice the D4 light flashing intermittently; it doesn't appear to be a code. Also, when first starting the car, I heard what sounded like relay(s) clattering in the dash for a few seconds. If this is a matter of re-soldering leads on the computer, I can do that, if someone will tell me where it is. Thanks, Tom

Reply to
<trichard308

-----------------------------

Since automatic trannies run on tranny fluid, you need to tell us when you changed the tranny fluid last, and what (brand) did you put in? How's the level, color, smell?

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Reply to
<trichard308

Find a two terminals connector on the side of passenger kick panel. This is a blue two-wire connector. Short the two terminals with a paper clip and turn on the ignition (do not start) Read the flashes of the check engine and/or d4 lights...post the results here and somebody will look it up in the shop manual. Clear the stored codes by pulling the under-hood 'backup' fuse for a minute.

Probably a power loss of some sort. This could cause the Transmission computer (TCU) to give false shift sequence.

If this were my vehicle I would supply direct battery power and ground to the TCU and try to recreate the symptoms.

Reply to
Burt S.

Reply to
<trichard308

Usually [a steady D4 code] means dead TCU or lacking power. Someone with a service manual may verify this.

Reply to
Burt S.