Accord V6 Transmission Recall?

I have a 2002 Accord V6 automatic transmission that's giving me no trouble so far.
I've read here several times about a pattern of automatic transmission
failure and a possible recall.
Can anyone provide the details about that? Is 2002 affected? What is the problem and what are the symptoms of a failing transmission?
Bruce.

It mostly affects 3.0 V6 Accords from '98 to '02 (and MDX's and Odysseys), but not all VINs. There is no actual recall, but the tranny warranty has been officially extended to 8 years and 80K miles.
There was a design flaw having to do with heat buildup and fluid leaks.

Symptoms are jerky shifts, "flaring" between shifts (engine unaccountably revs high), and odd noises from the tranny.
Honda's approach has been to deal with these on a case-by-case basis, starting with the moment you come in to the dealer compaining of the above behavior. You'd be best to wait until the symptoms show up before going in. Honda has been very lenient with no-charge repairs and replacements.
A caution though: change the fluid according to the official Maintenance Schedule, and only ever use Honda ATF-Z1 fluid. If there is any other kind of fluid in there, get rid of it now. Doing this will help in getting attention from the dealer if your tranny ever decides to go south on you.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I'm not sure the size of my engine, but if all 2002 Accord V6s are 3.0, then that's what I must have.

Ok, I'll watch the fluid level more carefully.

Thanks for the symptoms. No sign of those so far. Hopefully I'll never experience those. At this point it's 4 years old with 36K miles on it.

Understood. I'm planning on taking it back to the dealer for trans fluid replacement soon. The fluild isn't red anymore but a pale brown so I think it's time.
Thanks for the information and help Tegger.
Bruce.

If your car falls within the extra warranty than you will be notified by Honda. I recall that it is 7 yrs and 109,000 miles. MLD

The *original purchaser* will be informed. And even then a certain percentage of people will tend to throw out the notices, imagining them to be junk mail.

You're probably right. I was going by memory.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Thanks for the information. I am the original owner and I don't think I've received a notice, but as Tegger said, tossing it as unopened spam is always possible.
Bruce.