Accord, CR-V, Element Recall

12:52 i0549 BC-US--Honda Recall,108 Honda recalling 1.5 million vehicles in US Eds: APNewsNow. WASHINGTON (AP) Honda is recalling about 1.5 million vehicles in the U.S. to update the software on the automatic transmission to decrease the possibility of transmission damage. The recall affects certain 2005-2010 4-cylinder Accord, 2007-2010 CR-V and 2005-2008 Element vehicles.

The company said Friday that without the change, the transmission's secondary shaft bearing can be damaged when the car is shifted too quickly. Honda said that can happen when a driver tries to get the vehicle dislodged from mud or snow.

Honda says it will begin sending recall notifications to customers on Aug. 31. The company says that no injuries or deaths have been reported because of the problem.

+

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.) AP-NY-08-05-11 1252EDT

Reply to
Null

Null wrote in news:j1hntn$rp9$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Uh-oh. Here we go again.

Except that the '05+ trannies are about as reliable as Honda's ever made in its life. Maybe they're so paranoid of further problems that they're issuing the recall just-in-case.

Reply to
Tegger

I seriously doubt that they're "as reliable as Honda's ever made in its life". Not if something that people have been doing for 75 years--rocking the car out of the snow--will suddenly cause a bearing to fail.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

The '05 and up are the very best automatics Honda has ever made. You don't have to believe me, but they are.

I think this new recall is a panicked overreaction by Honda, which is scared stiff of a repeat of the previous problems that cost them so much money and so many sales. Those previous problems hurt them very badly, something they didn't need with Hyundai breathing heavily down their necks.

Reply to
Tegger

It's not that I don't believe you, but the track record would indicate otherwise to a buyer who's paying even only half attention.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

how are you quantifying this "belief"? is honda keeping new model transmission parts and cores off the market evidence of reliability? and is a mere 6-year old vehicle lasting 60-70k miles [or less] evidence of reliability? [i think not.]

as far as i'm concerned, "reliability" is honda discounting and dumping its stock of 88-91 civic transmissions on the market a couple of years ago because they'd been sitting in warehouse for two decades and hadn't moved.

they'd planned for some attrition when they decided to "go detroit", but they didn't anticipate the extent of negative reaction because they hadn't done sufficient homework, and their management's mba-driven idiocy occluded what "honda" actually /means/ to its customer base.

my 89 civic hatch is the last honda i'll own unless they dramatically change direction. they need a wrx/evo killer and they need a "real" tunable cheap hatchback, preferably both of the same platform. and stop this idiotic macpherson penny-pinching already. if i wanted macpherson, i'd buy a toyota. or a buick.

Reply to
jim beam

but then, you're being redundant and repeating yourself.

(he says, looking at the Prius in his garage--but hey, at least Toyota didn't have to "fix" the software so the battery gets less use and will last past the warranty period, moving the cost of that over to the owner who will now get lower gas mileage)

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty