2003 accord v6 auto trans recall

I bought a 2003 honda accord coupe v6 used that now has 40k miles. I just started having problems with the car not wanting to shift into second gear almost acting like it slips into neutral. after googling "2003 honda accord recalls" i found that there was a recall for the auto trans. problem. I found a 1-800 number to call honda, I spoke with someone at that number who did verify that there is a recall and after i gave her my VIN number they told me that this vehicle was serviced in

2004. obviously there is still a problem. Then she tells me that since the car now has 40k miles and is older than 3 years, the factory will no longer cover this repair!! how can that be if it is a RECALL ! I've read that the problem is related to heat and is most likely related to inadaquate transmission oil cooling. Does anyone know how i should go about getting this resolved without me having to pay out of pocket? I didnt make the car and if its a manufacturer recall i dont see why they shouldnt be offering to take care of this for me.

has anyone dealt with similair circumstances purchasing an accord used and then getting the recall serviced after 3 yr/36K miles?

Reply to
mxxmikexx

Call back. Ask again.

Or:

Go to a local, friendly dealer. If he doesn't give you the right answer, try another local, friendly dealer.

Talk with the service manager. Be nice.

Every Honda dealer has access to goodwill dollars from Honda. Make friends, give him your business, and the service manager will take care of you.

I promise you that I will never, ever pay for a transmission repair of any kind on my 02 Odyssey, no matter what, thanks to (a) my relationship with my dealer, and (b) Honda's widely known problems with transmissions hooked to V6 engines, systems that were made from 98 through mid-04.

It was the largest recall ever for Honda, something like $360 million. They are eager to take care of their customers and get rid of this mess. They do NOT want to be known as "oh yeah, Honda, they used to be good, now they're just another Chrysler".

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Find out who the best Honda dealer is in your area and go talk to them. The people answering 800 numbers are rarely the most useful.

Honda has had a lot of problems with some of it's recent transmissions. Many of them have had 100,000 mile warranties added on by Honda. I don't know if that applies to the '03 V-6 Accord or not.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I don't think this was a recall but rather a warranty extension to acknowledge that there was a problem with the transmission. As such Honda has no obligation beyond the original warranty period. But as you point out, they have been generous in the past in extending the warranty up to 100K on certain models. Beyond that you would have to be a pretty good customer, I think.

What happened in mid-04? Is it a new transmission or just another fix on the old one?

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

The recall was to add a band-aid fix which is supposed to improve lubrication of a high wear internal part.

John

Reply to
John Horner

There were two issues:

1) the four speed transmissions hooked to V6 engines got the warranty extension and overall generous treatment.

2) the five speed transmissions hooked to V6 engines, the ones that came out with the 02 Odyssey and the 03 Accord, got the lubrication fix for

2nd gear--that is, if 2nd gear wasn't already burned up. If so, they just got a new transmission.

Both campaigns, coming one right after the other, are utter embarassment for Honda and for Japan Inc. in general. Now the Toyota stuff is coming under fire.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Trannys under this recall I believe have an extended 100K mi warranty.

Reply to
L Alpert

From what I understand, the recall was a service to add some extra cooling line for the trans (as well as the extended warranty). If car had over a certain mileage, they were supposed to pull it apart and look for signs of fatigue from overheating before adding the fix.

Reply to
L Alpert

Yes, it would include this vehicle. My 2001 and 2004 6 cyl is covered.

Reply to
L Alpert

See my previous posts.

They screwed up the 4 speed auto trannies that were hooked to V6 engines. All of them, starting in the 98 model year. (The auto trannies hooked to 4 cylinder engines were not affected by this screwup.)

The affected cars--Honda Accords, Honda Odysseys, and the V6 Acura models--got (and still get) extended warranties and generous treatment from Honda and its dealers.

In the 02 model year, they started with the changeover to a 5 speed automatic trans. Different trans completely. The 02 Odyssey was the first one to get this, then the 03 Accord, and the Acuras as they changed over models. And guess what? In 04, they discovered that they screwed that one up, too--in a different way. 2nd gear wasn't getting sufficient lubrication. Again, this is the trans that hooks to the V6 engines.

For this campaign, they have the tech look at the tranny through the fill hole, using a still camera. He takes several pictures and compares them to a printout from Honda. If the gear shows no evidence of heat scoring, the tech puts on a modification that routes some return fluid back in through that hole to bathe the gear.

If, however, the gear does show any sign of heat scoring, the tech sends the pictures to Honda for evaluation. Honda responds by sending back either of (a) a lubrication mod kit, or (b) a rebuilt (new, really) transmission.

In no case does the tech "tear apart" the transmission. Honda dealer techs do not do transmission repairs; they treat it as a single unit and replace it if need be.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yes, I see they don't actually tear it down, but at least they do a visual check, though of course, the visual will not be 100%, but it will pick up most of the potential failures.

I'm sure they have calculated how many failures they will most likely get with this approach that would be under the new extended warranty and compared that to the costs of taking each one apart.

Reply to
L Alpert