Best anti-theft device for new Honda?

I will be getting my new Honda in a month. It comes with something called "Immobilizer Theft-Deterrent System" (which is one of those devices which cuts off the ignition and/or other vital systems if it
is tampered with). Additional options I've researched include:
1. Lojack, which in this high tech age may be easily countered by a pro thief, 2. Window etching, which (apparently) can be easily done with a $20 DIY kit (acid etches the VIN into your windows) 3. The Club, which is what I used on my old car.
Anything else which might be effective and/or state of the art?
I have thought about this a long time and all I came up with was park in my garage all the time, park under a lamp post as much as I can, and have nothing of value visible in the car.
FWIW, I saw that the "club" could be removed in less than a minute or two. They just cut the steering wheel !!!. Window etching is OK, but can only be used when they "recover" a stolen car and then try to find out who the owner might be. Lojack, I thought was neat, because it has a tracking feature. I wish, there was a study maybe about where they show the rate of thefts vs. what kind of security
Just a thought. The later laptops have this "fingerprint" thingy. What would it do in a car ??
A very long time ago, I had a friend who had a Jeep. One of those old Army type ones. Each time he came to my house, he took the shifter out !!!.
IR.

John DiFool wrote:

comprehensive insurance? =)
yes, I second that. good insurance from a name-brand company.

You're just trying to make your car a little less tempting than the next guys. If a determined thief wants it, he will get it. The club is a visual deterent. A switch interupting the fuel pump would also work as would removing the coil wire. Maybe the best imobilizer is one that that goes over your wheel and keeps it from turning. They use it to corral people who get to many tickets. A coworker had his pride and joy towed out of his driveway at 4:30 AM. Oh well?

Insurance only pays AFTER the theft occurs,it does not do anything towards *preventing* the theft. Insurance does little good when they steal your engine control module(PGM- FI ECU) and you can't get a new one for 6 weeks.It also does nothing when you are stuck somewhere with your car in pieces.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The very best plan is to always leave your valuables and purchases out of sight of prying eyes and to lock your vehicle. This is also one of the most affordable and easy to use systems available.
Brian

Does it have a siren? Or pager to silently notify you your vehicle is being attacked?

Effective only if they take the entire car.

Good for protecting your window glass,not much else.

None of those prevent someone from breaking a window,then removing parts as they please.Like stereos,ECUs,airbags,your CD collection,any valuables left in the auto.....
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
"John DiFool" wrote in message...

Most effective is the sound of a 12-gauge pump if you're at close range (e.g. - alarm or silent pager). Good guard dog is also quite effective.
I've used a Kryptonite club, which is more resistant to freezing than the Club, but doesn't help with the steering wheel being cut. Those thingies that fit under the brake pedal would be more effective.
I've always wanted to wire a vehicle with c4 that had to be deactivated with a hidden switch each time you started it... or maybe set off with a cell phone signal...
"mrdancer" <mrdancer_at__iw.net> wrote in

No,wire a STUN gun under the seats,with a remote to activate;when you see someone in the car,trigger the stun gun.You probably will have to change the seats,but it would be well worth it,IMO. B-) AND it's generally non-lethal,too. You may have time to call 911 and police actually arrive while the thief is still disabled.
C-4 means you have to get a whole new car. 8-(
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

A hidden "kill switch" is effective in preventing the car from being started, although the immobilizer provides most of that value. I like The Club and similar devices which can interfere with the increasingly common towing thefts if used according to instructions. Tow trucks depend on quick snatches, and even leaving your front wheels inaccessible and turned to the side will afford a lot of protection.
Mike

But none of those prevent theft of parts or possessions.
To prevent tow thefts,you could have a center-mounted hydraulic jack that would prevent tows.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

it doesn't cut the ignition if its tampered with. The way it works is the key has a chip in it, without that chip the car won't start. So if you were to get a copy of your key cut, it would not start the car. Or if someone tried to hotwire the car, it would not start without the chip

Which still does not prevent people from stealing your wheels,seats,ECU,airbags,or stereo.Or the entire motor/transaxle.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

John DiFool wrote:

A big, hungry Rottweiller in the passenger's seat.
Virus Database (VPS): 0552-1, 12/28/2005