anti theft device failure

My 1995 Xantia has a keypad based anti theft device fitted.

This has stopped working ie you can put the code in but it will not allow the car to start.

Does anyone know how to bypass or disable these devices.

Reply to
im in mac

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if the computer will 'reset'?

Reply to
Whiskers

im in mac ( snipped-for-privacy@i12.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What are the lights on the keypad doing? Is it still beeping on each keypress?

Reply to
Adrian

I have seen one Xantia that the keypad was disabled, I asked the customer the start code and he said "dont bother with that it has never worked and starts fine if you leave it alone" So me being a nosey bugger had a quick look, when i lifted the keypad out I noticed that the Grey wire going to the keypad had been cut and put to earth.

I am not saying that this will do it, as I am not an electrical guru, but it seemed to work on this one. Maybe someone else can comfirm this!!!!

Be it on yer own head to try it.

Regards. Slim.

Reply to
Slim

Adrian

The keypad bleeps when the code is put in and the green light comes on but the red one stays on as well. The pad does not bleep but there is no live in the engine.

Reply to
im in mac

im in mac ( snipped-for-privacy@i12.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I know that's been mentioned on the XM email list - IIRC it's a symptom of poor connections. Take the keypad out, clean it all up, and put it back together. If you get the keypad working, then you can clip a wire, but you MUST have the green light and the car starting when you do so.

Reply to
Adrian

IIRC you can just disconnect it when the car is running. The other possibility is fuse F2 (I believe). Someone blew that fuse in my Xantia once (not me, a garage) and this disabled the keypad. Mined ewe it also disabled the speedo as well.

Reply to
Malc

At what point is the car running if it won't start? :-)

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Malc ( snipped-for-privacy@ubht.swest.nhs.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I think that's the problem...