Check Gas Cap

I have a 2006 Odyssey EX-L. There's a "Check Gas Cap" message in the odometer/information center display. I have checked the gas cap (tight to 3
clicks), even topped up the fuel tank, all to no avail. The message keeps flashing., preventing the trip odometer and temperature from displaying. Is there a way to reset this? Thanks, Barry

Just drive the car with the gas cap good and tight, and the message will go away eventually.

That light comes on with a specific OBD-II error code. It will reset on its own after three trips if the problem no longer exists. If it does not turn off, then tighten the gas cap to MORE than three clicks. And not just four, either, but six or ten.
If you tighten to more than six clicks or so, and the light remains on even after three or more trips, then the gas cap needs replacing. Government standards these days are *so* strict that it takes an infinitesimally tiny problem to set the light.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Barry wrote:

------------------------------
Like Elmo said . . The older versions of the Owner's Manual says it will reset after three 'trips'. Be cautious of overfilling too. That's also covered in the book. Keep the book in the bathroom. Then everybody will be able to read it.
'Curly'
The current owner's manual actually says that it will go away if the owner drives the vehicle over 30 mph for 45 seconds or so, but it has not. I realize "read the manual" is everyone's favorite smartass reply in this group, but I have actually read the thing before posting.

Then it is time to take it somewhere and have the computer interrogated for the code. It will guide a mechanic where to look for the problem.....

I was afraid of that. Thanks to everyone for help.

If its an 06, a good dealer should be more than willing to review the code and fix the problem, FOR FREE.
If yours won't take it somewhere else.
Barry wrote:

clear the message. Kind of a bummer what it does to your display. But as the others say, time will heal it if the gas cap isn't bad.
Mike
I had a similiar problem with my 1999 Odyssey. Finallly replaced the gas cap and the problem went away. Hope this helps.
Ralph