Civic Tire size question

I found my civic (2002 EX coupe) on cinder blocks coming home one nite so I need 4 new tires. Still pissed off. Tirerack suggest a 215 50 16 tire that has a diameter of about 24.6 inch. This size is horrendous to find so someone told me I can fit a 205 55 16 which every tire company makes (25 inch diameter). So there's less than half an inch difference on diameter between the two tires. Has anyone used a 205 55 16 on their civic?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm truly sorry to hear of your misfortune. What is the OEM tire size on your EX Coupe?

Reply to
w9cw

Sorry to hear of your predicament... actually what tirerack suggested is the optimal tire size to maintain factory speedometer readings. With a 205/55R16 tire, the difference is about 1.65% to the original

185/65R15 2002 Civic Ex diameter... (1.65% slower reading on the speedometer). As far as performance, a 215/50R16 tire has more contact patch to the ground (10mm more than the 205) and actually maintains the speedometers reading as the diamter difference remains the same at 24.46" (with the 205/55R16 tire, the diameter would be 24.86") H>I found my civic (2002 EX coupe) on cinder blocks coming home one nite so I
Reply to
Spoonless Shell

I had good luck on this site:

and then click on tires and wheels; next, click on tire size calculator in the right hand column. Good Hunting.

Reply to
duckbill

Thanks Guys.

I believe the original tire size was 185 65 15.

I didn't want to go with a 215 45 17 tire because of two reasons. First, a

205 55 16 tire would provide a much higher profile to cushion me against those potholes and I don't do any autocross where a low profile will be advantageous. Secondly, the rim that I want has a $80 premium for 17inch. In other words, the vendor (tirerack) charges $80 for 1 inch over the 16 inch rim. That's $320 for 4 wheels!

My fellow Honda Buddies,

My tires came in (ordered the 205 55 16) and it feels great. Huge difference over the stock. Perhaps my misfortune was really a sign from above to make me get rid of those worn out and quite possibly dangerous tires (original firestone fr440 with 60k miles). New tires are super quiet.

Thanks again for your input especially the Miata link.