Go only to the dealers for service?

Do you guys only go to the dealers for any and all services (even oil change), or just the major ones?

Also, do you guys actually do those 15,000; 30,000; 45,000 etc. miles services? They look like rip-offs to me...

Thanks guys

Reply to
Dan

For all the minor services, you can provide the genuine Honda parts to a non-dealer shop and expect they'll do as good a job as the dealer. E.g. for tuneups and oil changes. This will save a lot of money.

You do want to use high quality oil. State your Honda's year, model, and mileage and ask for suggestions for oil, if you need them.

For major services, it depends. The dealer will likely do a better job with timing belt changes. For example, they'll most certainly use genuine Honda coolant to top off the car after replacing the water pump (which is done simultaneous to a timing belt change). Independent shops may not use genuine Honda coolant, and that's bad news for the car. Also on the timing belt job, the Honda dealership won't cave in the oil pan the way an independent shop did on my 91 Civic's many years ago. My Civic still runs fine; the pan is just obviously beat up, indicating it wasn't supported properly during the timing belt job.

I think the owner's manual maintenance schedule in general should be followed. For some years and models, people here have a few extra suggestions for maintenance, based on specific, often-reported experience.

Your best bet is likely to find an independent shop that does a lot of Honda work.

If you don't understand something they've done, ask them, as well as ask here.

Lurk here and you'll see the wealth of experience that is exchanged and how optimal solutions to car problems and maintenance tend to come out of this experience.

"Dan" wrote

Reply to
Elle

My dealer gives 70K guarantee if you use them compared to the 36K factory warranty. I dont hink I ever lived in the same city for 70K's worth of driving however.

Reply to
rick++

I have discovered that service at my Dealer was cheaper than service at the independant Honda shop I was using.

Randy

Reply to
randy

No, and Yes.

I am in a unique situation. The mechanic at AAMCO was my main mechanic at Honda for years. I trust him, and I save money!

As for as the 15k, 30k, etc. etc.

You really need to do the maintenance, even if not at your dealer to keep the warranty ffrom being void. Nothing says a Honda dealer has to do them, but they do need to be done. I do most of the items myself, document it, and keep receipts.

I do big ticket items like Timing Belt and Water Pump at AAMCO.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

I'm very lucky to have a dealership trained tech that has his own shop now. If you want good service in the Akron Ohio area, I'll put you in touch with him. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

All service, but only because I've known my mechanic for years. He's the only guy who touches my car, including oil changes, and I sit in back and chat with him while he works.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

If you have to ask the question you should go to the dealer because you don't already have a shop or mechanic that you know and trust and because you don't have the experience, ability, or time to do it yourself. Around here most Honda dealers advertise oil changes for 20 -

  1. How much less could it be? I know many pe> Do you guys only go to the dealers for any and all services (even oil
Reply to
Al

I split the work. I do the easy stuff like oil changes and tire rotations myself. I let my independent mechanic do some of the work, especially those items where I want to use aftermarket parts because OEM parts are so expensive; for example O2 sensor replacement. My independent mechanic can't compete with the dealer on some items (like timing belts) because the dealer techs. can do the work so fast and my dealer will run service specials.

Routine checks: it's probably a good idea to have a pro do at least one oil change, tire rotation and safety check every year. If you live where it snows and the roads are salted, you might consider annual brake caliper service. Lots of the stuff Honda lists for routine inspection you can do yourself.

Regardless of who does the service work, it's a good idea to open the hood and verify the work if you can. Routine fluid checks will help you get maximum value from the car.

Reply to
ACAR

I can tell you this I'm getting sick of the "drive through oil change places" and that fat rip off. Almost everytime I go to one of those I ask specifically what kind of oil filter they put in (usually the guy you talk to is not the guy that did the work) and sure enough its not the same (meaning they did not change it) Also honda recomends changing the washer on the bolt for the oil pan every oil change, my local dealer told me that even if I got a bunch from them and gave them to the guys they would not change it (to much work). Best thing is to find a shop or a mechanic you can trust and look and ask around you might be surprized where you will find a great shop for this or for that. (example: my father in Sacramento goes to a Big O Tires to get his oil changed. He says they are the only place that "does it right" in town, and its priced fair. But he will go to the dealer for other things.)

Reply to
runsrealfast

If you just do what Honda actually calls for in the manual then those intervals are not very expensive. Most dealers have their own "recommended service" list which adds lots of stuff to the list and increases the price.

John

Reply to
John Horner