Lose your timing belt, lose your engine

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 15:13:44 +0000, Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

Noisy! But certainly the way to go. There are lots of kits on the market for various motors to replace belt/chains with gears.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Not so (noisy).
Only noise is from the solid lifters, another way to go if you hate shortlived comfort.
JT
George Orwell wrote:

troll.
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 00:04:10 +0200, George Orwell wrote:

Why?
Huh? So you replace the engine. That ruins the rest of the car? Word has gotten around about what? Most Japanese Import cars out values their Big3 counterparts by THOUSANDS of dollars for similar model type and year.

Lets us know when you pull your head out of your ass. A lot of single OHC engines are interference, Japanese or American. My Chrysler LHS 3.5l was an interference engine.
Come back when you actually know something...
(we'll never see this one again...)

IIRC most toyotas are non-interference. It has nothing to do with being single or double cam.
Hows about maintaining your car properly, therefore never having that problem?
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 19:37:36 +0100, Coyoteboy wrote:

A lot ot the SOHC Toyotas are interference.
But what Dimwit pays no attention to at all is the Maintenance Schedule in that often overlooked little piece of information called the Owner's Manual.
If you change your belt when it says, you'll not have any trouble. I overlooked this in my Corolla GTS, but being a DOHC it's Non-Interference. The manual says 60,000; I had two belts go 120,000. I was lucky...

Probably just a little. You were taking a risk, though. The recommended interval is intended to avoid 99+% of failures. The failure rate after 120K might only be 20%.
OTOH, I know a guy who had one of those turbo Mitsubishi awd sports cars that were sold under the (Chrysler) Eagle brand back in the 90's. He went over the 45K recommended interval by about 1000 miles and the belt broke and trashed the engine. He fixed it and swore he would never miss another change interval. The next belt broke at 44K. Moral of the story: stick to Honda and Toyota.

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 17:40:44 -0500, Gordon McGrew wrote:

Mitsu's are notorious for throwing belts!
And, if I were your friend, I would think about a 40,000 mile interval!!!

He dumped that car and bought an Isuzu mini SUV. Some guys never learn.
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 00:23:18 -0500, Gordon McGrew wrote:

LOL! How do you say "Blown head gasket" in Japanese?
It's either Isuzu or Supra, I can't remember now...
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Yup. Supra MKIII turbos. Mine was one of many with blown head gaskets. Pity, such a beautiful car.
CD

Was your Supra stock? Ever overheat or leak coolant? I'm just curious because I have been following the issue (own a Supra) for a long time.
Thanks Dan
Danny G. wrote:

Classic symptoms of a blown head gasket:
Car overheats and the overflow tanks boils over. You stop the car and let it cool down. Surprisingly, it cools down rather quickly. You fill the radiator and overflow with coolant and drive off. The car is fine for some time, like a week or so before it does it again.
I kept that going for a year, then one day the car was totally sick. No power, exhaust was pure smoke. I knew the the head gasket just blew a whole chunk by then and coolant was going directly into the combustion chamber.
Had the gasket replaced and car was good after that.
CD
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 19:55:29 -0400, Codifus wrote:

Uh, oh..

Well, that didn't happen...it took quite a while!

Nah, not in my case.

Mine was a fan clutch that wasn't working right. After I replaced it, everthing was fine.
But, one time the overflow bottle was boiling...
Or at least had steam bubbling up in it.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Yeah, after you replaced the fan and you still had bubbles in the overflow tank, yours was on the way out. Keep in mind that it varies driving style. For my style, let's just say that I would stop the car at night and pop the hood to see the turbo glowing bright orange . . . . . . .and it was definitely NOT from any neon lights:)
CD
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:48:55 -0400, Codifus wrote:

No, after I replaced the fan clutch the overheating and the bubbling stopped. And, I don't have the Turbo, so I ain't overheating much (pavement included...I have the Sport Roof model...4400 LBS, automatic and NO TURBO!!!)
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 11:09:52 -0400, Codifus wrote:

When I bought mine, I had all the records from the previous owner (but not from the original owner). I know the last owner spent $1100 on cooling system components. I wonder if that included a HG. I'll have to see if I can find it.
I ran it one year just fine, and then last year it started overheating. Thanks to Ray O and Danny G I discovered the fan clutch had bitten the big one. A new clutch and no overheating problems!
The only problem is, I went aftermarket. When the fan comes on it does so with a vengance, and the car sounds like a B-17 taking off! (If you've ever heard one, that is!)
| Many Japanese products use timing belts with non-free running | (interference) engines. When, not if, the belt skips or breaks, your | engine and $8,000 is gone.
Honda engines <3.2 litre are all inteference*designs www.aa1car.com/library/2003/us70343.htm para 9 Toyota's newer engines are not *.
In 10-05 my honda F20A 's timing belt broke @ 79800 km ( owner's manual says replace @100k km ), pistons then hit & broke valves. I had to buy & fit a used F20A imported fr japan, total cost M$2261 @3.80 = US$595. Feasible for you to send car to Mexico to change engine ? I think this question of when to change t-belts, depends on how hot an engine gets ; neoprene ages ( hardens & cracks ) faster with heat. Japanese manufacturers don't calibrate their tmprtre gauges, so 1 easy way to tell if an engine ( in a front-wd car ) is too hot is to touch * ( assumed alloy )' centres : if * cannot be touched for 5 seconds w-o scorching your fingers, then engine is too hot for belts to last as long as expected per service schedule. In just 33C humid air, my SM4's * used to be too hot to touch, caused by a few design flaws & cheapo 4-1 exhaust manifold.
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 00:04:10 +0200, George Orwell wrote:

Oh, yeah...Codifus made me remember something. When I bought my Supra, it had...a BROKEN TIMING BELT!!!! But since I knew this was a Non-Interference engine, $100 and a new timing belt later it was up and running just fine again.
so there.