Loss of Power

Page 2 of 2

Another thought--I got intermittent power loss on my '86 Accord. Turned out to be an intermittent clogging of the "nut and bolt" screen at the inlet of the fuel pump. The screen and pump at that time was one assembly and required pump replacement. Power loss was sudden-----never drove in front of a big truck for fear of getting run over. MLD
MLD wrote:

Yeah, that would happen with a carb - you'd run fine until the float bowl emptied, then lose power until it (partially) filled back up again. An intermittent/weak pump or dirty filter would cause similar symptoms.
I think all 3rd-gen Accords used the same pump/pickup assembly, accessed via the trunk/hatch area.
twb01 wrote:

--------------------
Air in the cooling system may do that. If there's enough coolant in the reservoir the air can sometimes be displaced. Have you been checking it or did it get too low?
'Curly'

clogged catalytic converter?
z wrote:

Could be. If it's the cat, you might also have overheating (the exhaust carries off waste heat). Could also be fuel problems or ignition problems. Or internal engine problems.
Or, perhaps, you have gained lots of weight over the holidays and the car is working just fine. ;-)
Jeff

My old professor had a clogged cat. on her VW, long time ago. When she complained that it wouldn't go above 60 mph, the dealer told her she shouldn't go above 60.
z wrote:

We had a clogged cat once. Vet made us force-feed him a buncha fish-flavored vaseline.