New Engine Block

Page 2 of 2
On 08/08/2013 01:15 PM, Tegger wrote:

All I can say is that had this coolant leaking happened after the expiration of the warranty, I would have been saddled with thousands of dollars in repairs!
I realize that no car manufacturer can build the perfect automobile but having an engine block leak coolant is pretty bad. It does not speak well for Honda's QC people.
--
tb

Which is exactly why Honda extended the warranty. And even after the warranty is up, Honda tends to be fairly generous with their "goodwill" out-of-warranty repairs.

Honda has produced tens of millions of engines over the last 20 years or so. Only a vanishingly small percentage have had defects.
--
Tegger

On 8/9/2013 at 6:43:33 AM Tegger wrote:

I had to rent a car for a whole week while my car was at the Honda dealer. The rented car costed me $300.00 and the dealer told me that Honda refuses to reimburse me for that! Some generosity...
--
tb

On 8/9/2013 at 11:07:20 AM tb wrote:

PS: The Honda dealer also refused to give me a loaner car!
--
tb

On 8/9/2013 9:11 AM, tb wrote:

car loaner program as Toyota and other dealers have. OK, one might say that Toyota dealers' loaner cars are also not free because the dealers include their cost in the repair bills, but I'm not sure it's as expensive as renting a car at the Honda dealers. But I may be wrong.
cameo wrote:

I always thought that type of thing was region and dealer-owner specific, not brand specific.
GW

Depends on the dealer. My local Honda shop, if you bought the car there, has free loaners.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMclcpro.com says...

One of my local Honda dealers has free loaners regardless of whether you bought your car there or not, but you have to reserve them in advance in order to guarantee availability. Unfonrtunately, that particular dealer is quite a distance from where I live, otherwise I'd probably take advantage of their loaner car program once in a while. My dad bought his '03 Accord there and has gotten a loaner car from them on several occasions.

Also I think if you bought Hondacare - but that's not exactly free.
J.
On 8/9/2013 at 11:07:20 AM tb wrote:

I ended up writing a complaint letter to American Honda Motor in Torrance, Cal. They refunded me approx. 70% of the $300.00 expense for the rental car. No explanation as to how they came to the 70% figure was enclosed with the check...
--
tb

On 08/07/2013 11:02 AM, Tegger wrote:

not true. they're a problem for people cutting corners. casting is centuries old technology. porosity, and the reasons for it, are well understood and completely avoidable by anyone competent and familiar with that technology. indeed, honda never used to have a problem with it - the fact that they do now pretty much tells you everything you need to know about how their commitment to quality has changed.
[honda used to use forged cranks and now cast them - that tells you a whole lot more about their ideas of quality too.]
--
fact check required

On 8/8/2013 10:26 AM, jim beam wrote:

I think I will stick with my old 1998 CRV. It has 120 thousand miles on it and my mechanic says if I continue to keep it serviced, the engine should last until 300 thousand.
I sounds like Honda has given up on quality and the oldies are now the best that Honda would ever make.
My old Honda had the ignition switch failure that affected millions of Hondas. I had it replaced with the "fixed" ignition switch. So far nothing else has been amiss but my radio. I am going to install one that plays digital media.
On 8/8/2013 12:10 PM, B29 wrote:

I think he is right. My '94 Accord is now well over 300K and looks like it will make it to half a million miles from the way it runs.

I also had it replaced onece, along with the main relay. You might also have to replace the AT at aroun 300K though.
On 08/08/2013 12:10 PM, B29 wrote:

yup, that's what i'm doing. that crv has great suspension too compared to the newer ones.
i also add a little red line break-in oil to my engine - it brings the zddp additive level back up to where it used to be before the current generation of low zinc oils came out. it reduces cam wear.

based on what i've seen, yes.

i recently had to disassemble and clean the contacts on my light switch. the grease had dried out and i was getting contact failure. that's happened to me a number of times no on my gen of civic - your crv uses the same type of switch. just remove the steering wheel, pull off the column cover, and remove the switch assembly by taking out two screws. can be disassembled and cleaned from there.

--
fact check required

tb wrote:

yikes, cracked castings are a pretty bad situation, but I'm surprised they don't just alumi-seal for porosity.
Is there a specific spot on the block that's common? I'm still just seeing 2004 and older Hondas in my neck-o-the-woods, as of yet.
GW
email.me:

If the porosity is in an area that is not subject to pressure, Honda often specifies a fix using JB Weld.

Nope. All over the place.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

thx Tegger GW

You didn't get just a new block, you got a whole new "short block" assembly, which means new pistons, rings, rods, bearings, and crankshaft in addition to the new block. This means your engine is basially brand-new again.
Follow the original break-in procedure as though the engine was brand-new. Otherwise, enjoy your Honda.
--
Tegger

On 08/05/2013 11:36 AM, tb wrote:

no, no more than you would with any engine - assuming this new one's not defective of course. just make sure you check the coolant system for leaks, especially during the first few weeks, and you're good to go.
recommend you stick with honda branded coolant for the time being. after that, never use tapwater to refill - only distilled water or pre-mix "asian vehicle" formula.
--
fact check required

On 8/5/2013 10:33 PM, jim beam wrote:

That's right. I learned it the hard way and costed me a new heater core. Hopefully nothing worse happened from it because I haven't seen any coolant level change since then. Unfortunately too many mechanics also use tap water to mix concentrated coolant, too, figuring that by the time a problem happens, nobody can nail it to them.