Honda Civic - Loud Engine and Slower Acceleration

Over the past few days, I have noticed that the engine on my '99 Honda Civic is much louder then before, particularly when accelerating and the car feels slower/sloppier, so I need to push gas pedal more to get the same acceleration.

Any ideas on what to could be causing this or what to check.

Thanks, Rale

Reply to
Rale

I am not much of a mechanic but for those symptoms I would first check the exhaust system (pipes,muffler, catalytic converter) for any obvious holes.

I would also check the transmission fluid level.

You can do both with the car idling in park or neutral with the parking brake on.

Reply to
marks542004

Loose spark plug?

Reply to
Misterbeets

check your oil ? if you dont have a drop your going into the seizing process

Reply to
tudysmuck

Is it a manual transmition? if so then clutch maybe slipping. Time to replace it.

Reply to
saeef

Thanks a lot to all of you who replied! I will make sure to make a posting as soon as I figure out what the actual problems is.

Reply to
Rale

And thanks to you (in advance) for following up. Our collective advice gets better when we get more feedback.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Well, this only proves how little I know about cars: after changing oil and air filter, I took the car to the shop and it turns out that the problem is not really with the engine but with exhaust pipe, which is now fixed. The problem became much worse over the course of the last couple days that it became clear, even to me, that the sound was not coming from the engine. I am sorry for giving misleading information. I really apprecaite all the advices you gave me, and all the effort to have this resolved.

Thanks again to all of you who replied to my message.

Reply to
Rale

So do I get a gold star for being th closest? ;-)

Glad to hear you found the solution.

Reply to
L Alpert

Reply to
Rale

No problem. As long as you found the real problem and were able to take care of it for the least possible cost!

Reply to
L Alpert