Prelude head gasket, tackling a big project...

Hi, I just had the unpleasent experience of buying a car on ebay, and finding out it needs some work. I bought a 1990 honda prelude si and after noticing it overheating,
found I need to replace the head gasket (revving the engine with the radiator cap off made water bubble out). I just bought a head gasket set along with a timing belt and will be doing my first major car repair myself (no real automotive experience). Do I need to buy a cam-lock tool, or will borrowing one from autozone be good enough? Should I get new head bolts? If so, What brand/where? I bought a manual, and was just wondering if anyone had any tips on tools I will need, problems I will encounter, etc. I want to tackle this project as a learning experience. Thanks in advance for your advice/suggestions! -fuzzy
"" wrote: > Hi, I just had the unpleasent experience of buying a car on > ebay, and > finding out it needs some work. > I bought a 1990 honda prelude si and after noticing it > overheating, > found I need to replace the head gasket (revving the engine > with the > radiator cap off made water bubble out). I just bought a head > gasket > set along with a timing belt and will be doing my first major > car > repair myself (no real automotive experience). Do I need to > buy a > cam-lock tool, or will borrowing one from autozone be good > enough? > Should I get new head bolts? If so, What brand/where? I > bought a > manual, and was just wondering if anyone had any tips on tools > I will > need, problems I will encounter, etc. I want to tackle this > project as > a learning experience. Thanks in advance for your > advice/suggestions! > -fuzzy
had an 87 i got for $300, head was off and insides were rusted from sitting. it took some work, but it wasnt to hard. vaccum lines are the biggest pain, and on the 87 anyways the carb was another headache. overall it wasnt to much trouble, everything usually falls into place. you dont need to get new head bolts aslong as they are in good shape. as for a cam lock tool... depends on how long this project is gonna take you. make sure you have a torque wench, and use it. anyways GL
If you bought it off ebay it should have a 1 month/1000k powertrain warranty, or my Tundra I bought did with over a 100k miles. However, every problem I had was NOT a engine problem. No more ebay for me unless it still has the 3/36 warranty.