question about Alarm on Honda Odyssey 2007

Hi,

I just bought a Honda Odyssey 2007. I've looked through the owner's manual and can't find a description of the alarm system. Perhaps there is none, but the dealer indicated that the factory puts in some sort of system, and there is a blinking red light. Can anyone explain the system further or point me to a description?

The dealer explained that the system won't be activated by a broken window, but rather by someone opening the door. Thus, someone could break the windown, slide in (without opening the door) and steal the stereo or hotwire the car. At least this is what I undersood. She said for a $495, they could put in a system that would lock down the engine when the window was broken. The system is called "Karr Security System Upgrade LX-1" Does this sound like a good deal? Or more generally, what do Odyssey owners recommend?

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

While I'm not familiar with the specific 'alarm' on the Odyssey, most 'stock' alarms are very basic. Right now, how do you get into your car? Do you need to press the 'unlock' button on a remote?

I would invest in a real alarm - you can find one at a stereo or alarm shop for $250 - $300 installed. I have a 2000 Civic, and $300 covered the alarm, install, a trunk sensor, a hood sensor, sensors on all 4 doors, and actuators for the doors and trunks, so I can pop the trunk via the alarm remote. You can probably do better on a newer car...

Reply to
Evan Platt

Evan,

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Right now, yes I hit an unlock button on a remote or I can just use the key.

I had two old cars (w/o alarms) broken into recently for the stereos, so the topic is definately on my mind. Some sort of alarm that disabled the motor would be good. Unless of course you ended up stranded because your windown was broken for some other reason! Dave

Reply to
Dave

Are you planning to upgrade the head unit?? If not, I cannot imagine someone breaking into your Odyssey to steal the stereo! I can't imagine that it would fit into anything but another Odyssey... The blinking red light on the unit indicates that it has a code that must be entered if the unit is removed, rendering it useless without the code. There is also an immobilizer feature that kicks in if the coded key is not used to start the car.

Dan D '07 Ody EX Slate Green Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Have someone sit in the car. Lock it via the remote and ask them to open driver's door from inside. If you have an alarm you'll know about it.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Reply to
Woody

------------------------------------

You already have keys with chips in them. Your Ody is hard to steal without one of the correct keys.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I think I'm just going to stick with what I have and keep putting the club the steering wheel. I'm not planning on changing the stereo.

At the dealer, they tried to scare me with the story that the theif could break the window, crawl in and take the car or the stereo. But I think I'll chance that.

So far, I've been really happy with the vehicle. I'm still figuring it out though. Thanks again,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Sheesh, obviously the dealer doesn't understand the anti-theft radio or immobilizer!

I'm very happy with ours as well, and even happier now that the power steering pump has been replaced, the annoying whine is gone and the car handles as it did when we first got it.

Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

First, Karr stuff is a MAJOR scam. When I was buying my 4Runner almost three years ago, the dealer dragged me through over five hours of "negotiations process", and when we were done (by midnight), they informed me that the vehicle I had purchased already had the alarm installed. They also implicitely - by listing provided "benefits" such as power locks with remote that had come standard from the factory and had nothing to do with them - misrepresented the features, and I was not able to argue with them anymore AND assumed (the last thing to do when dealing with car salesmen) that for $500 they would've installed maybe somewhat overpriced but still state-of-the art system. I had been living with this idea up until recently when my truck was towed by mistake, and the alarm never went off. That's when I started asking questions, and it turned out that for $500 they sell you something that is worth about $20. Their alarm duplicates one factory (starter disabling) and adds one extra feature - namely glass breakage sensor - that I fortunately had not had a chance to test. Again, this "rich" set can be purchased for about $20. For less than $200, you can have a remote starter, level sensor (that would've prevented my vehicle from being towed and my spare tire stolen a couple of months before), automatic temperature maintenance and - most importantly - remote alarm indicator in the remote unit with up to 1 mi range PLUS many more. You can do your own research online to see for yourself. I ended up raising hell with the dealer, and they listed yet another advantage of their crap - 24 hr support. Newsflash: IT DOESN'T EXIST EITHER, just like all other $500 miracles. They've been working on resolving the issue for over three months now because I promised that this would go up to any level including but not limited Attorney General's Office unless they take their masterpiece back and refund its price. Bottom line: STAY AWAY FROM KARR, AND VERIFY EVERY WORD DEALER SAYS BEFORE PAYING A PENNY.

Reply to
Auto Inspector