Rust in coolant

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

If it doesn't discolor the coolant, don't worry about it.
Change your coolant every two years from now on, using the same stuff every time. This will help mitigate any ill effects from whatever goop there is left in there.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

cylinder liners are cast into aluminum and have no direct contact with the coolant, the radiator and heater cores are not steel... the only things that are steel and in contact with the coolant are the drain plug, the expansion cores and the coolant pump impeller. and they're all plated. if those are rusting sufficiently to discolor the coolant, you may have a serious problem on your hands!
double check to see what this material is - a magnet should do it. /definitely/ use a quality antifreeze and distilled water.
Add pictures here
âś–

I could have sworn the last Honda 4-cylinder I saw had the iron cylinders sitting bare-naked in the coolant. They were cast as a siamesed block of four, and were fully exposed all the way down until they got buried in the aluminum at the bottom.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
TeGGeR® wrote:

the siamese quintuplets are the alloy casting they sit in. it's an unusual arrangement for sure. if you're doing a gasket scrape, it's easy enough to test what's where because the soft alloy bit can be scratched by the blade, the steel bit not. i'll see if i can take a pic next time i'm in a junk yard.
Add pictures here
âś–

This is interesting. Guess the example I saw was dirty engough I couldn't tell there were two different metals in there. This explains the factory- specified max bore-out tolerance being a micro-thin .010".