tachometer gone wacky- please advise

I recently purchased a 1996 Honda Accord- off EBAY-. On the 700 mile trip home the tachometer would occasionally go haywire. The initial time it went haywire there was kind of a power surge, then loss- but after that
first time of going haywire, it never had anymore surges, etc. It has done it once since getting it home. This is my first Honda to own, and I bought it for the reason that they last forever. Any ideas what would cause this to happen? Also, is it o.k. to smell some oil burning in a 10 yr. old car. I had to put only 1/2 quart in after 700 miles. Is this o.k. or could this be something really serious?
Thanks!
fastpitchsoftball wrote:

-------------------------
Since it's new-to-you, you should probably change the PCV, and do a drain-n-fill on the tranny fluid at least once. Use Honda fluid. You didn't mention the mileage . . Look around under the hood for oil leaks, and perform all the checks described in the owner's manual. Use only Honda coolant also. No tap water. 'Curly'

A wacky tachometer without engine effects is normally the blue wire at the distributor, or its connection inside the distributor (on the igniter). If the wire looks undanaged, take the distributor cap off and check the spade connector for corrosion.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

if it's a v-6 there is a bulletin on this for a bad coil. Chip
TeGGeR wrote:

    The tach in my '92 Accord has been jumping around (the needle not the instrument) for the last six months. I'll have a look at the wire.     Thanks for the tip! bob

The distributor has a crank wheel spinning at a proper distance from the reluctor pickup coil. If by any chance the distributor bearing is near failing you might get the surge and a jumpy tach.
A loose terminal connection or a near death igniter can also do do this. Check to see if they've used the right high tension wires or plug gaps, which can over stress the coil and igniter.

Valve cover gasket leak?