used Honda Odyssey advice

I'm looking at the Odyssey as a personal and work vehicle... A friend has one and you really can stuff a lot into it... including a sheet of plywood... If it were the old days I would probably just get a chevy van... But so far the Honda is on the top of my list... I've been warned about some transmission issues... So, do you think the Odyssey is a good vehicle and are there some I should avoid... thanks so much Joel

Reply to
dwolf

You should go to

and brush up on the problems on the odyssey. Look at the transmission problems, EGR problems, Catalytic converter problems. It has far more problems than GM and Chrysler vans...

Reply to
Woody

The several people I know who have them love them. Are you considering new or used? Hopefully the transmission issues of recent years have finally been sorted out at the factory.

The Toyota vans have earned a reputation for being quite solid as well.

Whatever you do, stay away from the GM minivans. I would buy a Kia before any of the GM minivans.

John

Reply to
John Horner

You have got to be kidding about the GM vans. We owned two, both bought new and serviced better than by the book. By 60k miles they were a constant source of expensive repair requirements. Consumer Reports and just about every other source likewise gives them horrible reviews for good reason.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Reply to
dwolf

I'm not sure what the history of the auto transmission fixes are. As someone else suggested, check out odyclub.com

Also look at the Toyota vans. They seem to have an excellent reliability record.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Your last statement is bullshit and you know it. At least Honda extended the warranty and/or issued recalls for transmission and EGR problems. Chrysler vans still have a higher tranny failure rate, GM vans are stricken with the notorious intake manifold gasket problem, and even Ford minivans have had tranny issues. Neither big 3 company has admitted to those problems.

The OP should look at least a 2002 Odyssey to get the 5-speed automatic. As somebody else said, a Toyota Sienna is a good choice too.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Yes it's a good vehicle.

The ONLY ones to consider are the 2002 and up models. And 2002-2004, be aware of the transmission recall and make sure it was done. And even then.....well, I'd say buy one, but I wouldn't say to pay the typical prices that the traditional Honda reputation brings to them--solely because of the transmission issue.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I'd have said the same about Chrysler vans. From 98 - 06 I owned 3 Dodge Caravans. Each needed a tranny at some point (one of them went through 2) and the last one also ended up with a new engine. The 2 older ones got up to around 150,000 miles. The last one just hit 90,000 when the engine went (within a year of the tranny).

I'll never buy another Chrysler minivan again, and possibly not another Chrysler vehicle...

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

I have a 99 which I bought about a year and a half ago. It runs very nicely and the family loves it. I put some backup sensors on it as its bulkier than our last car. They work good as long as you don't ignore them.

My only problem with the van so far is its fuel consumption. It averages about 7 km / litre. or 17 mpg. The tank is 50 litres so we usually fill up after 300 km.

Reply to
AHJ

I have a 01 Ody that just had its 4th tranny put in at 100,079 miles,cant keep the tires balanced, had the egr replaced,and more problems than I can remember. Other than that, its a great van!

Reply to
specman1