Buying a used Odyssey

I am considering buying a used odyssey. Any years (2001 and up) to avoid. What should I look for when buying one?

Reply to
Paul Dokken

Check out

for all the info you desire. All up thru 03 seem to have transmission, egr and other problems... The reliability has been worse than you would think reading the stupid american press....

Reply to
Woody

Avoid anything earlier than 2002, for two reasons:

1) starting with 2002 they gave it a 5 speed transmission, rear disc brakes, and a more powerful engine--in other words, they tweaked it to be what it should have been from the beginning 2) that 5 speed transmission is different from the VERY problematic 4 speed auto transmission that Honda used previously. That older 4 speed unit was pure junk, on every V6 model they put it on (Odyssey and Accord).

But beware, even with the new 5 speed transmission they goofed up. Second gear wasn't being cooled--it didn't get any oil spray--and Honda had to do the biggest recall in their history. Certainly not all transmissions were replaced, but every one had to have at least a modification done to it--and that only if a complex visual inspection of

2nd gear showed it not to be burned. If it was burned, the dealer sent the pictures to Honda and Honda made the decision whether to replace the transmission.

Despite the 5 speed transmissions being superior, Honda still replaced a LOT of those transmissions.

They didn't fix it in the factory until the 04 model year.

So, get an 02, 03, or 04 Odyssey--and make sure that the transmission, if it was involved in the recall, had the recall service performed.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

But they're still more reliable than the Ford and Crapsler minivans.

I would suggest to look for a Toyota Sienna, and pay no attention to the sludge accusations. If the oil has been changed regularly, it will be fine.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Reply to
Scott

I own a 2003. Recently had the GRS valve replaced which appears to have fixed a serious problem. However, the transmission still feels "weak" to me; shifts rough. I purchased the extended power train warranty when I bought it though, so I'll probably keep it until that expires.

Reply to
Scott