Valve Lash Check - 99 Honda Civic

  1. I'm thinking about doing the valve lash check on my Civic. I do valve clearance checks on the V-4 engine that is in my motorcycle (Honda ST1100) and it is pretty easy and straight forward except for the PITA of removing all the plastic. Is it much a hassle to do this on the Civic?

  1. Does anyone know of a site that documents the procedure (with good pics) to check the valve clearances in the 1.6 liter engine that is in the '99 Honda Civics?

  2. Does the valve cover gasket usually stay on the valve cover when it is removed and can the gasket be reused? ___________________________________ Mick McHam Houston, Tx
Mick McHam

no, it's a good deal easier.

it's got all the info you need on the sticker under the hood.

often, yes, but it depends on your mileage, change frequency and oil brand history. if in doubt, replace. they're not expensive. go to tegger.com for a list of online oem honda part retailers

Reply to
jim beam

"Mick McHam" wrote

Civic. I do valve

motorcycle (Honda ST1100)

PITA of removing

Civic?

From online parts drawings at

I think it's probably very similar to my 91 Civic, except for the clearance specs.

(with good pics)

is in the '99

Unfortunately, the two sites I usually use don't have online manuals for Hondas this young.

Public libraries often have the Chilton's manuals for Civics this age. Or Ebay likely will sell a Chilton's manual for your car. (Ebay is where I bought my Chilton's.) Or Autozone may have a Chilton's manual for it. Or spring for a super-duper factory service manual at

.

cover when it is

Yes, but it peels out easily. In addition, if you don't put a new one in, one must be careful not to let it get twisted while re-installing the valve cover.

It can be, but whether it's a good idea to so so depends on age. If this is the original, I'd replace the valve cover gasket, the spark plug tube seals that also fit in the valve cover, and any grommets going around the cover's hold down screws.

One needs to go slowly when tightening the hold down bolts, or the gasket will not seat evenly. They don't require much torque, probably less than 10 ft-lbs. Buy a torque wrench of low range and use it.

See the drawings at

's parts web site for these parts.

This job is difficult only in that it requires a bit of finess and patience, both when setting the valve lash and when getting off and installing the valve cover.

Elle original and sole owner, 1991 Civic, 173k miles

Reply to
Elle

You can access a manual for a '95-97 Civic at

I would imagine that theprocess is very similar for a '99 Civic. I adjust the valves on my '88 Civic and most other Hondas that I've worked on differently from what's in the factory service manual. Set the engine up on TDC #1 and adjust the intake valves for cylinders 1 and 2 and the exhaust valves for cylinders 1 and 3. Turn the crankshaft over 360° so that the engine is now at TDC #4 (you can check the position of the distributor rotor). Now adjust the intake valves for cylinders 3 and 4 and the exhaust valves for cylinders 2 and 4. It's a lot easier than the procedure that's in the manual and it works just as well. If your new at adjusting valves, you can check your adjustment, e.g., IF your intakes are supposed to be set at 0.008" then a 0.009" feeler gauge won't fit and a 0.007" gauge will slide in easily. Also make sure that all of the adjuster nuts are tight when you're done. I've seen a few techs leave one loose and the engine starts making not so funny noises afterwards.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

For the uninitiated, be sure to turn the engine counterclockwise and don't use the starter to bump the engine around with the ignition live and no load on the coil. Doing either of those wrong may initiate you too well :-(

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

use the starter to bump the engine around with the ignition live and no load on the coil. Doing either of those wrong may initiate you too well :-(

Reply to
Mick McHam

"Mick McHam" wrote

Yes. Chock the back wheels. Jack up the left front of the car. Support with a jackstand. Remove the left front wheel. Put the car in neutral. There should be a hole in the wheel well's rubber splash shield assembly through which you should be able to see the crankshaft pulley bolt. Put a socket and extension, etc. on it to turn.

engine from the

Kneeling at the left front wheelwell, and looking towards the engine, turn counterclockwise.

In theory, one is supposed to retorque the pulley bolt after this procedure.

I do all the intake valves first, then the exhaust valves. That minimizes switching back and forth between feeler gages and "feel."

I am not sure your 99 Civic has the same valve lash specs as those given in the 95-97 Civic manual to which Eric provided the link. The following indicates the manual should cover your engine:

. I agree the procedure is very likely the same, otherwise.

Reply to
Elle