'06 sonata brake squeel

Page 1 of 2
I have just over 13000 miles on my GLS and the brakes are squeeling. Can I possibly need brakes already?!? I'm gonna take it to the dealer soon, but 13000 miles!! That's a little soon for brakes isn't it?

Depends. I can drive 26 miles to work and if I catch the lights right, I'll use my brakes three times. When I lived in the city, I'd be on the brakes every block. These days I get over 50,000 miles, back then I'd be lucky to get much more than 10,000.
I don't know where you live or how you drive so I'd not attempt to say what you need. There are other possible reasons for brake squeal too.
When do they squeal?
My 06 LX Sonata (~13K miles also) brakes squeal every morning after rain, or moisture from a hot day and a cool night. It goes away after I drive a short distance, enough to grind off any rust that may have generated on the rotors. They have always done this, even the next day after I drove the car off the lot. My wife's 05 Tucson LX does not squeal as much, if not at all, in the same scenarios. Hyundai must have done something differently with the new Sonatas.
I agree with Edwin, depending where you live and how you drive....endless reasons and answers....
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:50:56 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I live in Pennsylvania and of the 13000 miles on the car I would say 10000 are strictly highway miles. I was just wondering if this is a common sonata problem.

I am in NJ. I have right around 25,000 on my '06 Sonata. My driving on a regular basis is more city than highway (probably about 60%-40%). At about 24,000 miles I had a noise that sounded like the wear strips on the front pads. Took them apart to find one caliper bolt needed lube. The pads actually had about 1/2-life still on them. For me, that is amazing. I personally never was able to get much more than 20,000 miles out of a set of front brakes on any car I have owned over the last 25 years (except for my trusty '88 Chevy P/U).
I know one other person with the same year car and they also have had excellent pad life thus far.
So I don't think it is a common problem, but I only really have two personal data points to judge.
Eric
My '06 Sonata doesn't, she just clicked 15k miles.
According to my dealer, Hyundai changed the material in the brake pads for longer life and better wear. We know of course that with this advantage, we might see a disadvantage (I'm a fan of Murphy).
Most of mine are highway miles as well, but depending on how hard you ride brakes, you could burn a set up that quick. I replaced the "Lifetime" brakes on my Nissan Sentra once a year, but that's me....
Steve, AZ

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 00:06:13 GMT, Bloozefan

Could be glazed from repeated high speed stops. Are the rotors black and shiny?
Could be that the retainers are badly rusted up from salt.
The worst thing in the world for brakes and rotors is repeated high-speed stops. Some people use the brake pedal to disengage the cruise control, and that's a bad habit. Whey you're cruising at 75mph and use the brakes to stop all the way to zero, you're lucky if the rotors don't get red hot, become glazed, and warp. I'm trying to train my wife to coast down to 35-40mph before braking, but old habits are hard to break.

Why don't you walk outside and check them? Your post made me go outside and check mine, and they have over 1/4" of pad left. I guess they are less than 1/4 used up. I have 13K on my 06 Sonata too. -
Bob

Do you think that one second tap will damage the brakes? Really?

Depends on where you drive. In heavy traffic on the interstate, you dare not coast down to even 60 before you hit the exit ramp and coasting down to 40 may be just plain impossible. I'd certainly now wanto to meet you on the Garden State Parkway as you are coasting down. Chances are, you'd be rear ended four times before you got to the exit ramp. Or on Rte 128 outside of Boston, Or 15 in Las Vegas, or a lot of other roads.

No, nor did I say so.

Your sentiment is mutual. Believe me, I have no desire to drive on the Garden State Parkway. Believe me, I will never be rear-ended on Route 128 either.
All I'm trying to convey is that braking from 75-0 is an emergency or panic stop. It will increase the likelihood of warped rotors and premature pad wear. OF COURSE you have to balance that out with safety. Even coasting down from 75 to 60 is 10x better than jamming the brakes on at 75. It's best to coast down if you can. If you can't without getting rear-ended, well DUH???
Sometimes I wish I had a pad on the driver's seat that duplicated the brake rotor temperature. A little feedback to the derriere would educate my women drivers that high speed braking produces extreme heat. -
Bob

No, you did not, but please explain why it is such a bad habit? What is going to happen if we do that? The cruise control switch on my Buick is broken and I have it jammed on the "on" positionw itha splinter of wood so I use the brake pedal all the time to knock it off.

Do you have any numbers? Really, not trying to be smart here, but I'd like to see what the difference is in actual temperature on the rotors for gradual braking versus harder braking. I cold not even guess at the temperature. Coasting down makes a lot of sense, but going from 75 to 30 is not very practical for most of us.
Rotors on cars are made cheaply today and they are more prone to warp beyond tolerance to turn them down also.

You are so right. And from what I have seen, I can get a set of front pads AND rotors for under $100 and change them myslef in under an hour. What's the big deal?
Eric

Tapping the brake to disengage the cruise is not a bad habit.
Stepping on the brake at 75MPH to stop or turn without first coasting down to a sensible speed is a bad habit.
But you already know that, so why are you giving me the business?

Ah... one of those numbers guys, eh? All I can offer you is that it takes 4x more friction/heat to stop a vehicle from 70 as it does 35mph. That's my point. What's yours?

Guess what? I can't always coast down as slow as I would like. But I still stand by my statement that rotors become red hot if you brake from 75mph.

All the more reason to coast down if you can. -
Bob

Changing your story? Quoting from your other message:

You made a satement. I just want to know and understand why. You must have a reason for saying that or you would not have said it. Perhaps you can teach us something we don't know. If asking why you beiieve in something you stated is "giving you the business" well, so be it.

See, that was easy. I could not have guessed that and now I learned something. You made a your point and answered my question. I had no point. The purpose of t his newsgroup is to discuss, tech, learn. Thank you for contributing. FWIW, numbers can be applied to most anything mechanicla nd helps us to udnerstand what is going on. I'm a cruios kind of gy though, and I'd like to know just how hot rotors can get. Ed

Forgive my gaffe. I don't have any earthly idea why I typed that statement as I did. Am I forgiven?
One last time, here is what I meant to convey:
It is a bad habit to have the cruise set to 75, and brake to a stop without tapping the brake and coasting down to a reasonable speed.
If you disagree, fine. But that's my point. Anything else I said is BESIDE THE POINT.

You missed to point. Quit focusing on that and either agree or disagree with my point, and quit quibbling over my obvious misstatement.

I can't explain it. Maybe I lost my train of thought, or got in a hurry. There's no doubt that I forgot to proofread my post. Obviously you have never done that.

I don't think I ever said that I didn't type it. I may have said it was not what I meant, but I never denied typing it. In any event, it's way beside the point.

You could have made things a lot easier for everyone by not running me into the ground about an obvious misstatement.
Back to business! ;) -
Bob

I can agree with that. Makes a lot of sense.

Obvius to you, not to the rest of us. That is why I asked for clarification.

Sure, we all have not proofread. Typos, misspellings and their/there errors are easily figured out. Unfortunately, your error still had clarity the way it was types.

Not trying to run you into the ground. If you had given a simple "duh, I goofed" the first time I asked, it would have been over. Now it is over and clarified.

What do you mean "types"? Is there some hidden meaning in that? Explain your self Edward! :D -
Bob