06 Sonata V6 cold start

Somewhat colder weather has started settling in and my 06 V6 Sonata (

Reply to
PMDR

This is normal operation in colder weather for any car. At colder temperatures, the engine must run faster to run well. As the engine warms, the idle should lower.

Reply to
hyundaitech

It may be normal operation, but, it is unnecessary for it to idle at

2100 rpms when cold outside. I had this same incident on my 2002 SantFe when it was new. It bothered me to see it immediately rev to 2100 rpms when it was started in -20 f . temps. I took it back to my Hyundai Dealer and was told 'it was normal for Hyundais' . I since found out how the Idle Device (for lack of the technical definition) works ; I very easily removed it (2 screws and a clip) from the top of the engine and made a solid template (gasket) out of light gauge sheetmetal to exactly match the size of the flange of this Device. I then proceeded to drill two new holes in the middle of the template which were roughly half the size of the existing holes of the Device . I reinstalled the Device with the Template in between , and wullah...she idles at 1100 rpm, when cold, regardless of ambient temps. Absolutely no driveability problems, or codes, and it gets 1 mpg better fuel economy. Plus, you cant even tell the Device was modified.

This proves that cold revving at 2100 rpms is totally unnecessary , and if it takes a bit longer to warm up the car on a cold day, id rather have it that way .

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

This is for fuel mileage and clean air reasons. The faster the engine warms up the faster it's operating at it's most fuel efficient temperature with the leaast emissions.

Reply to
Bob