trunk opens in cold weather

Odd problem with my 08 Impreza. Got it in the fall. The trunk has opened three times over the past two weeks overnight during cold weather. Nothing was taken or even touched, and the car was not entered. Any ideas?

I'm wondering if its something to do with the electrical contact that opens the trunk. Also, there's a service bulletin about something similar, 12-103-07, about the trunk opening if the emergency trunk release has ever been used.

Reply to
Jerry Slaff

I think I used to get this with my '70 chevy. If yours is the same it's a lubrication problem, and the could weather could make it worse. The latch has a spring to move it. With inadequate lubrication the spring isn't strong enough to move it into place.

Try handling the moving part of the latch with your fingers to see if it is springy.

Nils

Reply to
synthius2002