Re: 06 Sonata V6 cold start

'I had 5 Hyundais and even when I lived in Canada I never had the car idle at more than 1500 rpm from start.'

REPLY: The highest ive ever had a car idle (other than the SantaFe) , was 1700 rpms. No doubt they rev it up higher for better emissions ; at the expense of some engine wear im sure.

'How cold was it when it idled at 2100? '

REPLY: It used to idle between 1900-2100 rpms anytime the car was first started , summer or winter. Didnt bother me much when it was 70 f outside and starting it up , but, when its -20 f. i dont want it immediately racing at 2100 rpms.

'I too would want them to adjust it. '

REPLY: I can assure you, they wont . So sometimes you have to matters into y our own hands to come up with a solution.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Why won't they? You sometimes have to make a PITA of yourself. Call the salesman every day about it. Call the service manager every day about it. I'd be at the dealer every day until corrected. Parked right in front of the bay door in the morning. Or parked across the street with a sign on the car. Lots of ways to get a nuisance fixed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

They won't fix it because it isn't broken. Hyundai will neither authorize nor pay for repairs that are for reasons other than to repair defects.

I understand you think that the car shouldn't idle that fast, but if Hyundai advises the dealer that the car is operating normally, the dealer is pretty much helpless to assist you under warranty.

Furthermore, the modifications that would need to be made to get the car to idle lower would "alter" the emissions system. While a method like Dave used may not be a big deal, it may still be quite illegal in some places. Furthermore, to reduce the idle using correct means of repair, the engine computer would need to be reprogrammed. And the manufacturer is *definitely* not allowed to do that without EPA approval.

Reply to
hyundaitech

2100 RPM is normal? I've not had any temperature under 25 degrees F yet and my V6 has not approached that speed. I've never seen 2100 RPM idle on any car I've ever owned no matter how cold. If every Sonata V6 hits 2100 on start up, I'd agree, but if they are all programmed the same way that 2100 would seem to be abnormal to me if the others are a more normal 1200 or so.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have a 1986 Jeep Comanche that always revved up to 2,000 rpm when started in cold weather. I worried about it at first, but after 20 years and unknown miles (odometer quit at 150,000 or so), I no longer worry about it. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting
2006 19:30:04) about "Re: 06 Sonata V6 cold start":

h> Furthermore, to reduce the idle using correct means of repair, the h> engine computer would need to be reprogrammed. And the manufacturer h> is *definitely* not allowed to do that without EPA approval.

Hasn't been on most cars for several years.

Customer Goodwill? For a problem that does not exist? The car is working as designed. What you are suggesting is that they will re-design a car in the name of Customer Goodwill, that isn't even broken. Not very likely I believe.

You don't see the difference between a complete warranty repair and a customer who simply does not like the way the car operates? I don't see any similarity between your experience - which is how that sort of experience should work BTW, and what Dave was talking about. Dave simply does not like the way his car operates, even though it's operating just as designed - no problem with the car.

There business though, was not built on custom designing cars for people who don't like certain things. Word of mouth isn't going to hurt them if someone goes out bad mouthing Hyundai for not re-engineering a car at their personal request.

You just read in HT's post that it is not a "simple" 'perceived' problem. In fact, it's not a problem at all. It's not simple either, if you read what he wrote. It's far from myopic. What's myopic is thinking that every little whim of some customer somewhere should be jumped on by engineering teams in the name of making sure that customer is contented in every way.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:n9S4h.6490$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

I have to agree here. My 2006 Sonata V6 was purchased in 9/2005. I've made it through a complete winter already in my area of NJ, with temperatures down to 0F and my car has never idled higher than what looks like 1200-1300 RPM. It does the same in the middle of the summer, albeit for a shorter amount of time.

Something is just not right here unless a few degrees difference can have such an effect.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I largely agree with Mike here, but with much softer language on many points.

But I mostly wanted to chime in and say that the dealer who replaced your steering rack and insisted you pay for the alignment was ripping you off. This wasn't a goodwill gesture on Hyundai's part, it was simply reminding the dealer that the labor operation for replacing the steering rack includes setting the front toe. In my opinion, Hyundai doesn't pay enough labor time for setting toe, but that's a separate issue from charging the customer for something that *is* covered by the warranty, i.e. the necessary adjustments required when replacing a defective part.

Reply to
hyundaitech

'I can assure you, they wont . So sometimes you have to matters into y our own hands to come up with a solution. '

Why won't they? You sometimes have to make a PITA of yourself. Call the salesman every day about it. Call the service manager every day about it. I'd be at the dealer every day until corrected. Parked right in front of the bay door in the morning. Or parked across the street with a sign on the car. Lots of ways to get a nuisance fixed.'

REPLY: They wont because its designed into the Hyundai and most likely changing it would be considered 'tampering with emissions'.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

To update the issue somewhat, the "problem" I saw was happening in the mid 30s. It has barely gotten to freezing once so far this winter. Fall. Whatever season it is.

It hasn't had the "problem" lately, but then it's been somewhat warmer too. The cold-cold doesn't come until January, which is around the time of my next service date.

Eric G. wrote:

Reply to
PMDR