'09 Sonata 6 cyl

Time for an oil change. The last couple were done by the stealer. No big on the price. They charged me $34 out the door. However I want to use a different filter and syn oil now, and like I do w/ my other vehicles, I will change it myself.

Questions, where's the best place to jack the vehicle up from and place jack stands so I can get underneath? Also, someone mentioned a plastic cover to contend with?

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Cam Johnson

I have been running one wheel up on the curb from the driveway. Works very well and gives me enough room to crawl under and drain oil.

Reply to
Partner

The filter is done from the top so you have to remove the plastic shroud to get access to the filter. Only a couple of nuts to take off and it lifts right up.

Never jacked mine so I can't help you there. Look at the tire changing instructions and it should show you a spot.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'll assume my '07 is pretty much identical underneath. I like to use the tow hook, front and center just behind the plastic part of the bumper, as a jacking location; then I put the jackstands under the clearly visible frame rails. Note that the stand supporting the right side of the car has to be placed further back than the left one, in order to accommodate your drain pan on the ground.

There is a plastic cover atop the engine that has to be removed to get at the oil filter. A total of six fasteners, comprising four acorn nuts and two bolts, secure it to the engine; IIRC it is a 10mm socket that removes these. The front two acorn nuts are recessed, so I recommend a socket that is a couple inches long to reach those.

Also keep in mind that you will need a special tool available through Hyundai for around $50 to remove the oil filter. The filter is actually a cartridge that goes into a plastic housing, and the outer shell of this housing is what you wrench on to remove or re-install it.

Reply to
Larry Harvilla

Larry Harvilla wrote in news:lJednej9gts9LRLXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Larry, what is this magic tool you speak of? $50!!?? I've changed the oil on my '06 Sonata 16 times and never used a $50 tool from Hyundai. Any oil filter wrench should work just fine. Even a large set of channel locks or a pipe wrench will work.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.