Oil change Sonata GL

I have about 2500 miles on my 3 months old Sonata (4 cyl). I would like to change oil myself. I will probably use the genuine filter from the dealership. I noticed the oil filter is in the front underneath the engine which seems very convenient, once drained the oil there is no danger of spilling it. How do I lift the front? Where do I place the jack? I have also a Camry V6 2003 and there is a metal bar underneath the engine that can support the weight of the car. Is there anything similar in the Sonata? Any advice you could give would be appreciated. Thanks, G

Reply to
FGionni

Indeed, if you can get over the fact that these are not the "spin-on" filters we have gotten used to over the years, you will like how convenient these cartridge oil filters are. You also have to get used to the fact that, at least for the time being, they will probably be a little more expensive, until more of these types are made.

As for getting the car up, for a job like this, ALWAYS use ramps or a hoist. You only need jacks and jack-stands for jobs where you have to take the wheel(s) off. One would hope interference wouldn't require that. Ramps are relatively inexpensive and available just about anywhere, if you don't already have them.

Interference is usually much more a problem for spin-on oil filters, then for the oil pan and drain plug. It should be no problem on this one.

Hope this helps.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

I wouldn't recommend using a jack. If you do use a jack, be sure to place jack stands under the car once you have it lifted to working height. Most new cars don't really have good places to use a jack other than the locations designed for a full vehicle lift or the jack that comes with the car.

Personally, I use wheel ramps. They are relatively easy to use (although not with a manual transmission Sonata - with its touchy throttle and clutch and too tall first gear!), don't cost much, quite safe as long as you set the parking brake and block the wheels and have less chance of damaging the car. Unless of course, you drive up them too fast and go over them with the front wheels! I've never done this, but I've seen it done...

I'd suggest you invest in wheel ramps if you plan to do your own maintenance.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

He said he has a 4 cyl. so he still has a spin-on style filter. Only the V-6 has the cartridge filter.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I have not needed to jack up mine (yet) but I'm surejack placement would be covered in your owners manual.

Reply to
Darby OGill

You shouldn't need to jack up the car, but if you decide to, use a floor jack placed just behind the center tow hook, then put jack stands under the corner tow hooks. Don't use the jack that comes with the car, as it's not designed to lift the entire front end.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I always run one wheel up on a curb to raise the front end enough to slid under to change the oil. Not directly into it, but from the side , from the driveway. This has worked for over thirty years.

Reply to
Partner

That's right Matt, I just purchased the filter from the dealership, opened up the box expecting to find a weird looking filter, found instead a blue one that had the thread, the rubber gasket and a little Hyundai sign embossed on a metal part inside the filter. Paid $7.44 for it before taxes. Dealer's posted oil change price was $29.75, but somebody asked me "do you have an appointment?" (!)

Reply to
FGionni

What's a curb? We don't have many of them where I live. :-)

I guess I could drive to the city to change my oil... :-)

Someone said you can change the oil without raising a Sonata, but you'd have to be a lot smaller and thinner than me to do it that way!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting