2006 Sonata Oil Change

Hi;

I changed the oil in my 2006 Sonata with a 3.3 V6 engine. Yesterday all was fine. When I started it up this morning, about a quart or two of oil was leak spilling out on the ground. The drain plug was fine. I replaced the oil filter cartridge and both oil rings on it. There didnt appear to be any oil leaking from the oil filter area. It looks like it is coming out by the transaxle. Any idea what it could be?

Thanks Pat

Reply to
komobu

Looks like the Soanta is still under warranty - take it to the dealer!

Reply to
Jose Juan Miqueleno

Check to make sure it?s not leaking out of the oil filter housing where the cap installs. Oil that leaks here tends to drip or run off around where the transmission meets the engine. If not from the housing, take it in for warranty service.

"komobu" wrote: > Hi; > > I changed the oil in my 2006 Sonata with a 3.3 V6 engine. > Yesterday > all was fine. When I started it up this morning, about a quart > or two > of oil was leak spilling out on the ground. The drain plug was > fine. I > replaced the oil filter cartridge and both oil rings on it. > There > didnt appear to be any oil leaking from the oil filter area. > It looks > like it is coming out by the transaxle. Any idea what it could > be? > > Thanks > Pat

Reply to
Hyundaitech

One thing I learned the hard way is that you HAVE to replace that darn aluminum crushable washer under the drain plug. If you don't, I WILL leak. The stealership wants a dollar a piece for them. If you search the internet you can find Hyundai filers and the washers as a combo deal.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

When I bought the filters at my dealer (8.99) he gave me the washers. I never thought about it until he handed them to me. If he hadn't, I probably would have just re-used the original. Actually, no the guy that does my oil changes would have. He did not have a Hyundai filter as they are not readily available for his usual sources.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Really? I've changed my oil twice and reused the washer and had no leak. I'm only changing the washer every other change and that is working fine. I suspect it would last much longer than that as long as the plug is properly torqued. Most folks overtighten the drain plug causing the washer to crush unnecessarily and that will cause problems at some point.

I'm still not sure why Hyundai couldn't use an oil plug like my minivan that has a little rubber o-ring built in or even like my old Chevy truck that has a washer that has lasted 13 years and 19 oil changes, but I digress.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

If he lost a quart or two that quickly, he better have it towed to the dealer. Driving it with that rate of oil lost would likely ruin the engine unless his dealer is across the street.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

You can get the crush washers at Advance Auto Parts. I've also been buying the filters from the Kia dealer for $6.00 each. I also bought a cheap torque wrench at Harbour Freight for $12.00. It's funny how what you think is "tight enough" really isn't when you use a device that tell's you when to stop. The spec for the drain plug centers at about 30 foot-pounds. I originally bought it when I put the trailer hitch on my car. The bolts for that are pretty specific as to how tight to make them.

Reply to
Bob

I get them by the bagful from my dealership for no charge.

And it is nice to know that someone else finally is saying this - I got taken to task on this board for making this claim. Yes, those crushable washers DO leak.

Good news is that the latest bag I just got from my dealer is not the crushable ones. Just standard O-rings that should last just fine now.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Dump a can of oil sealer and wait for 07 Accord come out.

Reply to
ass

"ass" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...

And pay 3 to 5K more (here in province of Quebec, Canada) for less or same equipment. Good advice, thank you!

BTW... nice nickname... nice addy..., asshole!

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

I tend towards the opposite problem. What I think is tight enough tends to be about 2X TOO tight. I can generate 50 lb-ft with a 5/8" combination wrench, easily hit 80 with a 3/8" drive ratchet and 120 with a 1/2" drive ratchet. I need a torque wrench to avoid over tightening things. My pickup requires 110 lb-ft on the lug nuts and I usually get to 100 with just an easy pull on the 1/2" drive ratchet. I rarely need more than another 1/8" turn with the torque wrench to get to 110.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Your right, Matt. I never changed the gaskets on my old cars when I changed the oil and they never leaked. On my first oil change that I did with the Hyundai, I followed my usual procedure of reusing the gasket and it pucked all over my garage. Now all is well. My son's Jetta is the same way. If you don't replace the brass washer on the drain plug it will leak like hell. Go figure.

Reply to
Tom

I found out about (and bought) the crush washer after my 3rd oil change. I have kept it in reserve thus far and just finished my 8th oil change (@

24,735 miles) using the original with no leaks to report yet.

KW

Reply to
KW

I agree. You only need about 10 Lbs Ft to get a good seal. unfortunately, that needs doubling that to ensure the plug won't vibrate loose.

I would like to see a plug with an O ring, with a nylon insert to prevent loosening. But,,, that would add .50 to the building cost of the car. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

They could make it an extra cost option? :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting