1993 Elantra Problem

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my 1993 Hyundai Elantra and I don't know how to solve it. Maybe you guys have a solution.

The problem is that when I don't use my car for a while (let's say, two days, sometimes, even just one day), the car has really some problems to start. I have to turn the key a couple of time before the engine starts. After that, the engine choke and I have to start the car again (it does that one or two times). During this, the engine seems to be shaking; I can feel it through the steering wheel. After that, I step on the gas pedal and it seems that it has no effect! The car just won't budge. Then, after like 10 seconds, the car slowly starts to move. Even though I'm giving gas, the car seems to have really a hard time rolling, like gas wouldn't be flowing to the engine. Then, after I drive it during 2 minutes, everything is back to normal; the car can run perfectly without any problem, like nothing happened two minutes ago. If I stop, and reuse it the same day, everything works perfectly.

I've talked about this with my mechanic on the phone and for now, he doesn't know what this could be. He hadn't check the car so far though... Could it be my battery?

I don't know if it's related, but this car has had a history of having problem starting during summer. If it's cold outside, it starts like a charm, but if it's hot, it's possible that it will have problem starting. But even when my car was doing that in the past, I didn't have the gas which doesn't seem to flow to the engine problem and the shaking engine...

Thanks a lot for any suggestion,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

There was an ECM replacement addressing this issue in the U.S. For Federal models, part 39110-33450 was replaced by 39110-33453, and for California models, 39110-33460 was replaced by 39110-33463.

There's actually a fair amount of information on

in TSB # 93-36-005. You can look at the label on your ECM to see what number it is. It'll be below the left side of the dash against the firewall. I believe the actual issue is failure of the ECM to compensate for carbon buildup, so performing some sort of carbon removal procedure may help your issue.

Reply to
hyundaitech