1998 Hyundai elantra Light problem

Hi again!

I have been having a problem with my headlights. They run normal and then all of a sudden they get bright(like the brights are turned on)(Also the inside lights go bright too). I think the engine has a VERY slight jerk to it like something is pulling from it. The weird thing is when they are running bright and I turn on the brights, the lights completely turn off, until I release the bright switch.

It seems to do this randomly but the very slight engine thing is weird. Anybody have a clue what could cause this? Alternator problem? I checked for loose connections but could look again? Its just a POS? :)

Thanks ofr any help.

Shawn

1998 Hyundia Elantra
Reply to
Shawn

Jody

Your alternator voltage is spiking too high. Do not drive your car. Replace the alternator immediately. These voltage spikes can damage your car's computers and other expensive electronic components.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I just did replace it. It started doing this after I got it. Is it bad?

Reply to
Shawn

It sounds like it. Is your battery in good condition? If so, you should be able to hook a voltmeter to the battery with the engine running. The voltage should stay steady and it should be between 13.5 and 15.5V.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"" wrote: > It sounds like it. Is your battery in good condition? If so, > you should > be able to hook a voltmeter to the battery with the engine > running. The > voltage should stay steady and it should be between 13.5 and > 15.5V.

I had the exact same problem in a honda I owned, It was the alternator. I replaced it, the belt, and the battery (since it had killed the battery over the weeks it went on)

Reply to
xmirage2kx