2000 Elantra AT odometer/speedometer cluster noise

A mechanical, chattering noise starts at 15-20 mph coming from the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel - the area of the speedometer/odometer/tachometer. The faster the car goes the more
rapid/higher speed the noise/grind/chatter. The speed/odometer readouts are mechanical-gear numbers. Guess the noise is associated with the speedometer cable and/or the mechanical readout gears. Can/should these items be lubricated? How? With what lub? I think I know the black plastic tube coming off the top of the AT that may contain the speedometer cable, but have absolutely no idea how to disconnect it. Likewise, have no idea how to access or disconnect the cable housing from the back side of the instrument cluster. This is a very annoying noise - very unpleasant to drive the car - must blast the radio - which is getting old! Help! JR
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Iíve never seen lubrication fix a Hyundai speedometer cable noise, but the most youíll lose in trying is your time and some sprays of lube. You can remove the cable from the transmission by unscrewing the housing. To access the other end, youíll need to remove the instrument cluster.
Iíve seen the noise you describe caused by either the cable or the cluster. If lubing the cable doesnít work, start by replacing the cable. If that doesnít get it, youíll need a new speedometer.
"JR" wrote: > A mechanical, chattering noise starts at 15-20 mph coming from > the > instrument cluster behind the steering wheel - the area of the > speedometer/odometer/tachometer. The faster the car goes the > more > rapid/higher speed the noise/grind/chatter. The > speed/odometer > readouts are mechanical-gear numbers. Guess the noise is > associated > with the speedometer cable and/or the mechanical readout > gears. > Can/should these items be lubricated? How? With what lub? > I think I know the black plastic tube coming off the top of > the AT that > may contain the speedometer cable, but have absolutely no idea > how to > disconnect it. Likewise, have no idea how to access or > disconnect the > cable housing from the back side of the instrument cluster. > This is a > very annoying noise - very unpleasant to drive the car - must > blast the > radio - which is getting old! > Help! JR
‚úĖ