Speedometer cluster light question

Hi,

I have a 2002 Corolla and it appears that behind the speedometer, there are two lights. One for the left side of the speedometer and one for the right side.

The right side is dimmer than the left so I assume the bulb is burnt out.

It appears at the top of the speedometer cluster, there are two phillips screws. Can I remove those and get access easily?

Looks like right on the speedometer, there are a couple tiny phillips screws.

Just not sure how to get behind the speedo to change the bulb. Wondering if it's as easy as it appears it might be.

Anyone got a guess? Done it before?

Also, I seem to have a burnt out bulb on the hot/cold dial on the climate control cluster. Thinking of replacing that too but again, not sure if it's a pain to get too.

Suggestions / ideas welcome.

2002 Corolla, CE.
Reply to
mrsteveo

Ah, OK. Sounds easy.

Thanks for the prompt advice; I appreciate it.

Regards,

Steve

Reply to
mrsteveo

OK, so I removed those 2 screws at the top and as you said, it exposed the cluster. Then I saw a screw at the top in the center and two screws at the bottom, one on the left and one on the right.

Do I need to remove those 3 screws as well, pull out the cluster, and then the bulbs are accessible there?

I didn't see a way to then snap off anything additional so it appears I would have to remove those 3 screens and pull out the cluster.

I'm just worried about snapping / crimping a wire or something. I'm paranoid I guess.

Let me know if it seems I am in the right direction...

Reply to
mrsteveo

Perfect.

Yes, you must remove the two screws at the top to remove the bezel.

Once that is removed, you have a screw at the top and one on the bottom left and one on the bottom right.

I'll remove it all tomorrow and see how it goes. As you said, I hope I can just rotate the cluster enough to get to the bulbs because it looks like removing the steering wheel would be a pain.

I'll give this a go this week.

Thanks!

Reply to
mrsteveo

Ooooh, I'd sooner go over the falls in a barrel than attempt to remove a steering wheel and the airbag system. I don't have a Corolla, but a Camry, and in the case of a '97, just removing the screws at the top of the black plastic "surround" of the cluster is enough to gently pull the cluster out, far enough to replace a bulb. I think fooling with the wheel/air bag for an amateur is just asking for a disaster ...and an expensive one.

Reply to
mack

Yeah, I don't plan on removing the steering wheel. Does appear I can get to it without removing the steering wheel anyway.

I'll let ya know once I get some time this week to try it out.

Regards,

Steve

Reply to
mrsteveo