2000 Elantra not starting

Probably something simple - but here's what happens.
Door open: dome lights on Key in: bells, lights, clock, radio, fans Key Turn: one loud CLICK then nothing from the engine area but all the
aforementioned still functioning....
What I've done: pulled both cables from both terminals steel wooled both of them and the insides of the cables same thing after tightening the cables back on the terminals
charged/jumped from my car after it ran for 15 minutes (connection was good too!)
So, is this the starter? Starter solenoid? Something along those lines? I'm so completely LOST as to where the starter is! I haven't been under the car yet...so not sure...but I just really can't follow the lead from the battery to...where IS the starter ANYWAY? :)
if u jumnped it and it started your battery is on the fritz soon.. just not enough power to crank the engine, but enough for light items fans, lghts etc

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Did you check the fluid levels in the battery? I'll bet they're low. Even so-called "sealed" batteries lose fluid and need to be refilled periodically. If so, refill each cell with DISTILLED water until the water just touches the plastic filler neck. You can get distilled water at a grocery store or pharmacy.
BTW, how old is the battery? If it's more than 3 years old, it's probably due for replacement, anyway.

Probably not, since the car started when jumped.

I haven't looked on the Elantra engine, but it's probably on the back side of the engine, facing the firewall, tucked up under the intake manifold, where it's a royal pain in the butt to get to.
You're exactly right on the location of the starter, Brian. It's not that big a pain, however.
hyundaitech wrote:

That's good to know. I've had other cars with suspension/steering parts that blocked easy access to the starter. I'm glad to hear the the Elantra isn't one of them.
MY BAD! What I MEANT to communicate was that after I charged it for 15 minutes from my car it did NOT start - my car continually charged the Elantra's batt...but the elnatra never started! =)
Does that clear things up any? Sorry for the confusion!
So, here's your possibilities as I see them:
Bad cables, cables dirty not attached to starter or ground points properly, starter defective, or engine or accessory locked and will not turn.
A really loud clunk tends to indicate something is locked.
A click is probably the starter solenoid. If that's the case, you'll probably need to do some testing to see whether you're getting proper voltage to the starter while attempting to crank the engine.
if your battery if fried its not going to accept anymore charge. get it tested

** BATTERY NEW **
Started no problem a week ago AFTER I posted this??? WIERD.
Week later - Got home after it sat NOT being charged and it STARTED THREE TIMES consecutively w/o any problem @ all!
is this how a solenoid goes? Or a starter?
It's more of an a lighter clicking sound, not the heavy clicking
I've got a few price quotes on replacing the starter - looking like $250 for parts and labor...is that about right?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It's quite possible, but as Hyundaitech said, it may just be bad power or ground connections. Have you checked them?

That doesn't sound unreasonable, but you can buy a rebuilt starter for ~$125 and install it yourself in around an hour. It's not a complicated job.
is this one okay? Or should I stay away from ebay rebuilt starters? http://cgi.ebay.com/HYUNDAI-ELANTRA-TIBURON-REMANUFACTURED-STARTER-96-04_W0QQitemZ8027458166QQcategoryZ33576QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks for the input!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HYUNDAI-ELANTRA-TIBURON-REMANUFACTURED-STARTER-96-04_W0QQitemZ8027458166QQcategoryZ33576QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I couldn't say what the quality is, but I'd feel more comfortable buying electrical parts locally, where they can be easily exchanged. Also, local rebuilders will take your old starter (referred to as a "core") and rebuild it. I'm fortunate to have a high-quality rebuilder a few miles from home. Check around and perhaps you'll find one, too. If you're anywhere near Merrimack, NH I highly recommend Auto Electric Warehouse (http://www.autoelectric.com /). I've bought several alternators and starters from them over the years and they've always lasted longer than the original parts did.