2000 Ford Taurus SE not starting

I've got a 2000 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 (FFV). It has 70,000 miles on it. It is not starting. You turn the key & can hear the starter but it won't turn over. Replaced the original battery since it was about time... no difference. The spark plugs were checked & look ok. (platinums) It has about

3/4ths of a tank of fuel in it. At this point I suspect it is an electrical problem. (All the fuses looked ok, none were blown) Any other things to check before I have it towed?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Ward

You can hear the starter, but it won't turn over? What are you hearing?

Reply to
Michael O

Reply to
Thomas Moats

That's right. It will crank but won't turn over. A few weeks ago it did this a couple times but eventually started up. This time it seems to be dead. Seems to be spark. I don't have any other diagnostic equipment so looks like Monday I will have to call & get it towed to a shop.

Reply to
JT

The term "crank" and "turn over" means the same. That said, the proper term to prevent confusion when you take it too where ever you take it is; "it cranks, will not start". Even if the starter has failed, the engine will not crank or turn over, and it will not start.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I had the car towed to the Ford dealer yesterday. Just got back from picking it up. Turns out it was a faulty idle control valve. Runs great now.

John

Reply to
John W