2000Sonata. Pump-like thing behind NS front headlamp clicking. What is it?

After Turning the ignition key on a 2000 Sonata yesterday, without starting the engine, I head a clicking sound from the engine compartment. Lifted the bonnet and found a small pump-like device
behind the headlight. I disconnected it and the clicking stopped.
Please, anyone. What is this device?