2007 Tuscon Mileage

Anyone having any issues with the mileage ?

I just bought a 2007 Tucson 4wd 2.7L and started with around 13 mpg. I just drove from new York to Chicago round trip plus some side trips and it went up to 18 mpg. Total mileage 2500. 2000 of which is interstate highways.

I'm home 1 day now and driving around town it's already down to 17.9.

I called the dealer and I'll be bringing it in this week, but the salesman started with the " break-in period" . When I questioned how long till I see the rated 28 or so highway, he didn't know.

Thanks

Reply to
news.verizon.net

It's only rated at 19/24 by the EPA. It would take very carefull driving to match that.

This is why I'm so pissed about them dropping the hatchback Elantra. The Tuscon uses the same running gear but the body style has so much more wind drag the milage takes a severe hit.

Reply to
nothermark

LOL you will never see 28 mpg.

Motor week tested one and out of all the like sport cutes the TUSCON had the worst MPG avg. around 19 mpg.

get used to filling her up.

Reply to
Finn

My V6 FWD get 22 city & 32 Hwy. I use Marathon gas to get this great mileage, as BP puts me at 17 city 26 hwy. I live on Cruise Control too..........

Reply to
The Awesome 1

As much of the groups has posted, no way. However, cruise control and a K & N filter allows my 06 Sonata LX to near if not go over the EPA stated mileage. I pulled 31.7 the other day on a required trip to my Corporate HQ in Las Vegas. I've seen 32 on my trips to Tucson, AZ

Steve, AZ

Reply to
Steve R.

Why does the oil filter matter so much ?

Also, I'm considering taking the loss ad trading it in for a Jeep Patriot. Any comments ??

Thanks

Reply to
news.verizon.net

"news.verizon.net" wrote in news:TFUki.4404$qu5.635@trndny02:

I don't see anything about an oil filter mattering.

A co-worker has a Patriot. Most likely you'll regret it.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Very interested, why ?? Thank You Joe

Reply to
news.verizon.net

Air Filter, sorry for the confusion...

Reply to
Steve R.

"news.verizon.net" wrote in news:TOUki.13694$t05.3920 @trndny09:

He can't stand the ride. The gas mileage is worse than he thought. He does nothing but complain about how over-priced they are for what you get. It has also been in the shop twice now for extended periods, but for the life of me I can't recall exactly why. I will ask tomorrow.

He also regrets getting the CVT (with the creeper gear) because he says it just feels "weird".

These are all pretty much things that he should have noticed on a test drive. If you are aware of them you can either accept them or look elsewhere.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

It is rated for 19/24 with 4WD so don't expect to ever see anything more. Most cars struggle to come within 80% to 85% of the EPS rating. After about

5000 miles on my Sonata, the MPG was up about 2 from when it was new.

As for the Patriot, I rode in one for about 20 miles once. I'd never buy one after that as it was uncomfortable and had a choppy ride. The fellow that bought it dumped in within the first six months he had it.

What you do want to do is be sure everything is working properly. Make a note of the rpm as a given speed and perhaps others here with the same model can compare just to be sure there is no slippage and it is shifting properly.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Restricted or dirty air filters can cut mileage, but not in 2000 miles that I'm aware of.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You can get an accurate MPG on a test drive? You must take VERY long test drives. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Eric,

I have to agree with you and your friend about that CVT tranny. Rented a Caliber on my last business trip to NM, it was weird. I kept thinking, "The clutch is slipping". What happens when you REALLY need that additional gear; i.e. avoiding an accident?

Nothing like my old snowmobile or Polaris Quad with the same style tranny!

Steve

Reply to
Steve R.

My point was that the K&N breathes better and collects finer particles which is essential out here in good ol dusty Arizona!

Steve

Reply to
Steve R.

"Steve R." wrote in news:_QXki.11919$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

Steve, I personally have only driven a very early example of a CVT. I can't even remember what car that was on, but it just plain sucked then. I have been reading that they have improved immensely since then. Even Car and Driver doesn't bitch about them too much any more. But it definitely is a different experience. On the Patriot the RPM's run up to about 3500 and just hang there under "normal" acceleration. It still seems like a "gimmick" to me. My personal preference would still be a good old slushbox with, oh, maybe 6 or 7 gears. But sadly I am stuck in AT world with my wife being a shift-dweeb!! But the Hyundai AT is pretty damned good in most cases, although it is a little slow to downshift at times.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Matt Whiting wrote in news:N9Xki.11189$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

OK, Mr. Nit-Picker :-P EXCEPT FOR THE MILEAGE, these are all pretty much things that he should have noticed on a test drive. If you are aware of them you can either accept them or look elsewhere.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Why a gimmick? Having an IC engine run at its torque peak RPM constantly is the best way to maximize acceleration and efficiency, assuming that the CVT itself has no more loss than does an AT. This is the next best thing to an electric motor which makes 100% of its torque at zero RPM.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Breathes better, yes; collects finer particles, no. It is pretty well known that K&N sacrifices filter efficiency for airflow. Great for racing, but not so good for a street vehicle that you want to have a long life.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Matt Whiting wrote in news:aO2li.11193$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

I'm not arguing the physics and mechanics behind it. It just feels gimmicky when you drive it.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.