99 Accent - Fuel tank doesn't fill up

Hi there,

Even after pumping in just a few litres of gas, the fuel pump nozzle shuts off and my fuel tank won't accept any more gas. The fuel gage too doesn't move. I can never get to fill even half my tank.

Just a month back, someone suggested me to use the fuel injecter cleaner in the fuel tank....could that be causing trouble?.

Thanks!

Reply to
ab sell

HAHAHAHA funny you should mention that, it happened to me tonight with my wifes Santa Fe.......I could squeeze about 6 or 7 cents at a time and the nozzle would shut off, it took me almost 10 minutes to fill her tank. I had the same thing happen to my XG350L not to long ago at the same gas station, the same pump !!!! That particular time I stopped filling the tank and went to a differant staion and everything was fine...... try a differant staion and see if it does the same thing

Tunez

Reply to
Tunez

The nozzle is sensing that the filler tube is full. This is probably because it is. Try slowing down the rate of fill by not squeezing the handle all the way. Also check that the air hole in the nozzle restrictor plate is not plugged.

Reply to
nothermark

NM, I checked all that stuff on both of mine and all was well. I tried putting gas in slower but the nozzle would kick off almost as soo as I touched it as I said 6 or 7 cents at a time, I pulled nozzle in and out of tank to diffeant positons and also tried twisting the nozzle in diferant positions nuttin worked.... Like I said I went to many other gas staions and have had no problems at all, it was just this 1 Chevron station close to my house.

Tunez

Reply to
Tunez

First, it's important to know whether the tank is full. If it is, then you've got a fuel gauge accuracy issue. If not, then you need to find out why it's not accepting fuel. One possibility is as suggested above, the pump you're using. But, if you've been using different pumps with the same result, then your tank is not venting properly.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I tried different gas stations and the problem remains.

As suggested, I even tried pumping in slowly from the nozzle, but that didn't help either.

How do I rectify if the tank is not venting properly?

Thanks

hyundaitech wrote:

Reply to
ab sell

If you're sure your tank is not full then I think you just did.

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

You'll need to find where the blockage is.

There's a "rollover" valve in the top of the fuel tank that closes in the event of vehicle rollover to prevent fuel leakage. If that sticks shut, your tank won't vent.

The vapors go through the charcoal canister. If the canister is clogged or the hoses to it are crimped, the system cannot vent.

There's a valve on the end of the canister (canister close valve) which closes for system testing. If it sticks shut, the system cannot vent.

I believe there's also a filter and/or hose on the end of the canister close valve which could be restricted or clogged.

At this point, there's no way to resolve the issue without digging in and finding the cause.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Just curious - how would one troubleshoot it? I'm thinking about putting two or three pounds of air pressure into the filler neck and seeing what comes out where but there is probably a better way?

Reply to
nothermark

You could try that, but you'd need to be careful. To much pressure can damage the fuel tank pressure sensor. Two to three psi sounds okay.

Since I have a lift at my disposal, I typically put the car on the lift and investigate different parts of the system, some by blowing through them. I don't advise you to do this, by the way. Nasty things in mouth. Not good, really.

Reply to
hyundaitech