Fill up strangeness

Greetings.

We recently bought a new Prius. Today, at our second fill up, I ran into a problem. The pump would just not fill the tank. I would hold down the handle and within seconds the pump would shut off. Try again and it would repeat. I tried moving to a different pump and had the same problem. Eventually it got to the point where I could hold it in part way and it would continue to fill, but I never got it to work automatically.

I was at 2 bars when I filled up. I put in about 7 gallons (after many start-stop iterations) and quit. The gas gauge read full when I left.

Any thoughts? Do some gas pumps just not like the Prius? This was at my primary gas station. I would hate to not be able to use it.

Thanks

- Jason

Reply to
carbheat

I've had problems with a few pumps too. Now I put the nozzle about 1/2" in and put the handle at the first, slowest catch. That seems to help.

Reply to
Bill

I think you've identified it. Some pumps are really stubborn about filling the Prius. I guess it's something about the bladder. Anyway, another pump at the same station should work okay.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Mikey gets pumped nightly until he overflows. How's your boyfriend Michelle these days, since I humiliated her by outing her here? SMIRK

Reply to
crystal

This happens to us a couple of days ago at a local Shell Station. I did not play musical pumps like you did. I just started a trickle flow from the pump after a few attempts at filling the Prius, with its second tank of gas, at full flow (The car actually ran out of gas - I posted a summary of this story in this newsgroup). I then was able to increase the pressure on the handle slowly till it was about 3/4 flow. I believe that this is caused by the high pressure that the fuel is flowing out of the pump. I have noticed over the 20 years of driving that some pumps are quick to fill up a tank and other are VERY slow! We also experience this problem on occasion with our previous car, a

1991 Camry, at certain gas stations with high flow rates.
Reply to
Vic

Had almost the same problem not long ago. Got really excited when I calculated 111mpg, until I looked down & realized I could pump no more gas, but the display was only showing half a tank. Drove two miles to another station and added more than 8 gallons...

Reply to
Miwaku

Another odd thing that sometimes shows up is a loss of capacity, a couple or few gallons... then during a fillup the bladder will unkink or something and the tank will sigh. Lo and behold, it will hold full capacity again.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Unkink the hose otherwise it flows out in a swirl and trips the shut off.

Reply to
mark digital

Isn't that the First Law of Fluid Dynamics? LOL

Reply to
Bill

I dunno Bill. I'm glad you got a chuckle out of it. I know in the old days there was a small gadget near the end of the inside of the nozzle and that sensed the gasoline. Today I have no idea how or what does it. mark_

Reply to
mark digital

I don't know either. My wild guess would be air pressure. I've had it fail, dumping a quart or so before I could manually shut it off. Back in the 70's I started pumping and went to the head. When I finished, the pump had stopped so I paid the clerk, hopped in my pickup and drove 60 miles to work. Imagine my surprise when I got out of the truck and saw the handle sticking out of the side. Not having stupidity insurance, that one cost me fifty or sixty bucks. I did get my gas cap back. Lucky the station didn't detonate. Now you can chuckle.

Reply to
Bill

Reminds me of the time my father drove up to the pump in his aluminum GM step van and asked the attendent for a certain amount fillup. The attendent took it upon himself to slide open the passenger side door afterwards which shocked the heck out of my father. He asked for the money, my father gave it to him and then we drove off. He looked in his rear view mirror and saw the guy running after us. He hadn't finished pumping the gas and the nozzle and hose was dangling from the truck. The attendent was spitting bullets about it but the fact is he gave the impression he was all done pumping gas. Being that the truck was so huge it wasn't always possible to "hear" the cap being put back on. You just had to take for granted it was when the guy asked for the money.

Reply to
mark digital