broken timing belt

My son's 1996 accent broke its timing belt while he was backing up in the driveway. Is the engine definatelty damaged?

Only his hairdresser knows for sure. It's an interference engine so the likelihood of damage is pretty high, but at low rpm's - well, maybe he'll be lucky. The only real way to know it to have it looked at by a shop - or by yourself if you're capable. No one can really tell you without looking at it, for sure.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
kennym wrote:

I'm curious, how many miles since last belt change? He probably doesn't know. That's why it broke.
- Mooron
kennym wrote:

Definitely, no, highly probably, yes.
With any luck, you just need to remove the head and replace the valves and valve guides. Without luck, you may have to replace the entire head and a piston and rod or two, and possibly bore the block oversize.
Matt
kennym wrote:

How many miles are on it?
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

Hmm, no response. I guess we'll never know how many miles it takes to break a timing belt.
- Mooron
Mooron wrote:

It's @ 110,000 miles +/-

and only the hairdresser would know the +- ;)