Accent Timing Belt

2001 Accent died while driving - suspect broken timing belt. Is the engine fried? How do I tell before going through the process of replacing the belt?
Reply to
JoeF

If the belt let go - especially at speed, there is likely valve damage. Maybe more. The only way to tell is to tear it down.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

According to my auto parts store, both engines (there was both a 1.5L SOHC and a 1.6 DOHC for that model) are interference engines.

So, yes, I would say you are in for some work. The valves are probably bent and more.

Sorry, guy. I guess it just reinforces for me the need to keep that thing changed.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Before you do, run a compression check. It won't tell you for sure there is NO problem, but it will tell you for sure there is one if you get low compression from bent valves or a valve through a piston.

We were just talking about timing belts in work today. One of the guys had the same problem as the OP and it did some serious damage. I just have to think it is a crappy design compared to a chain or gear set. Aside from cost, why would you want to use a belt that is know to cause problems after

50k or 60k miles?
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Built in income for company $300~$500 repair every 60,000 miles,cheaper to produce,quieter for engine noise getting into compartment.

RIPPER FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE! BOYCOTT CALIFORNIA SPORT TOURING!

Reply to
CBX2
*Do not* attempt to check compression. If the belt is broken, that can cause engine damage.

For a quick but nonclusive check, pull the spark plugs and look down in the holes. If the plugs have been impacted or you can see impact damage inside the engine through the plug hole, then you've obviously damaged the engine. If there's no damage it's not conclusive.

You can also check by attaching an air hose to the plug hole and putting compressed air in the cylinder. Before putting the air in, rotate the camshaft so that the valves on the cylinder in question are closed. If air leaks out the intake or exhaust, you have done damage. If not, you haven't.

But this is all moot if you haven't checked the timing belt yet. Your first step needs to be to pull the upper cover and check the belt and cam timing.

Reply to
hyundaitech