Cand someone read my Hyundai in Ottawa, Ontario?

I'm looking for someone who can read the computer off my 2001 Hyundai Accent GTi. I went to the dealership this morning and I was astonished at how much they were asking to check my car! If you can recommend people that have Hyundai specific readers, please post here.

Thanks

Reply to
Cheg

Code readers are not that expensive so maybe if you invest in one of them, you will be able to read your own codes. Look for one that works on OBDII which is almost everything from 96 up. If you sepen a little more, the reader will tell you the likely cause of the code also. Cheap ODBII readers 60 bucks and up. Better readers are in the

Reply to
John Doe

Just for kicks, how much did the dealer want to read your computer?

Hey, you can get your own OBD II code reader right now for $100, on sale, after rebate, from Kragen, Shucks, and other affiliated chain stores. I just bought one and haven't opened the package yet. I believe that the sale is good through the end of this month.

This unit is made by Innova in Taiwan. It's a Taiwanese company with design and support here in California. The support techs are former mechanics, and -- dig it -- they answer the phone! I had one of their older products; a Ford-specific code reader and it was an absolute winner. So was the documentation. These people seem to really have their act together IMO.

The only thing that I still need to know is where the "port" (jack) is on my Sonata to connect the thing.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

Sorry, I didn't notice that you're in Canada. The stores that I mentioned are a US chain that operates under the names Kragen, Schucks, and Checker, and of course, the advertised price that I mentioned is in USD. I'll bet that the Innova code reader is available in your country, too.

As I said earlier, I haven't given it a spin yet, but had really positive experience with a different code reader from Innova earlier. I found that unit easy to use, straightforward, and safe (since the code reader actually polls the car's computer (and in the case of my Ford, intentionally activated a relay to do this), we don't want the reader to cause any damage; we don't want an irresponsibly-engineered product from some fly-by-night outfit. I saw a cheaper reader on sale, too, but got a bad gut feeling about it just from the picture!

In my own case, I've discovered from the paperwork, that the guy I bought my Sonata from had taken the car for an oil change and also paid the people $25 to reset the "check engine" light. The light's stayed off, and perhaps resetting it was fine, but you can see why I want to read the stored codes to settle my mind. The car's actually running great, and passed a California smog test in December. Please report back and let us know how you made out.

Richard

PS: I noticed that there's a Hyundai dealer in the Canadian midwest who has set up some sort of Hyundai bbs.

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

Hi again

I ended up buying a Snap-on used reader on ebay for $325usd and I'm selling it to some mechanics I know well. They'll be doing my readings for free in the future!

Hyundai in Ottawa wanted to charge me $40cdn to give me an assessment....bastards!

Reply to
Cheg