Drive belts / Timing belt replacement

I own 2001 Elantra - 69,000 miles. It's been recommended to replace the belts. Which ones? Timing belt? Accessory Drive Belts? Both?
Is it just as safe to have a certified private repair shop do the work,
or must the dealer do it?

Replacing timing belts is a common task requiring common skills. Any decent shop ought to be able to do it very well. There's no need to rely upon the dealer with the belief that this is a procedure which requires specialized knowledge, skill or tools. That said, the dealer can be nearly the same price as an outside shop and if there's no big savings at stake, it might make a good opportunity to develop something of a rapport with the dealer.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Scott wrote:

That sounds pretty steep. I'd definitely get a second and maybe third opinion.
Matt
Found another quote from a shop that's highly recommended by some local folks here. They use belts from Mighty Auto Parts - it's actually 4 belts in total... $395. I made my appointment for tomorrow morning. Thank you all for your reponses! I feel much more confident now.
Scott
Matt Whiting wrote:

You should be interested in whose parts Mighty Auto Parts will supply to the repair facility.
Sounds like Mighty Auto Parts distributes many different brands? Urghh... the repair shop indicated they would only replace the belts with the "highest quality belts... Mighty Belts, so we can warranty your work." They told me the belts they use are the only belts they will warranty and are as good or better than the OEM. I hope so.
Scott wrote:

Goodyear makes some of the best belts around. I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

If you haven't done the timing belt, you should. It's time to do it based on time and mileage. The shop will need to remove the drive belts to get to the timing belt, so if they haven't been recently replaced, you should have them install new ones with the timing belt job.
You can have any shop capable of replacing a timing belt do this job. This isn't a difficult or tricky timing belt to do, so that should be just about any shop. You'll also want to take an interest in the parts used. For something as important as the timing belt, you should insist on a quality, name brand part (such as Gates, Dayco, or Goodyear, or even a factory timing belt).
The timing belt manufacturers; Gates, ACDelco, Dayco, etc. say the 2001 Hyundia 2.0L is an "interference engine" which means the engine will be damaged if the timing belt breaks while the engine is running. So don't run the timing belt too long past the recommended maintenance interval.