Elantra steering wheel wobble/vibration

Page 2 of 2
It was a 4 wheel alignment and it was done when the tie-rod-ends were replaced.. i also took it back and had it re-checked twice.
Some force was used to remove the rear tires so this could be the culprit.
Since then anti-seize compound was used to prevent them from sticking in the future which has worked really well.
So let's say the rims are replaced and that solves the wobble it still brings into question the pull to the left and right which does seem to come and go. It's not sever but it is noticable and isn't consistantly pulling one way.
It's higher milage yes but apart from the steering issue it's been a pretty good car and is still in very good running order. It's all highway miles and rarely sits in traffic.
jmh_ottawa wrote:

Are you sure it's not just the crowning and tire depressions on the roads?

I certainly wouldn't replace it for such minor problems.
BTW, what are you running for tire pressures? I find the Elantra handles much better with front/rear pressures of 36/32. The recommended pressure of 30 psi all around guarantees severe understeer and uneven tread wear on the front tires. You could try them at 34/30 if you like a softer ride.
A common modification by Elantra owners is to install a stiffer rear sway bar, which really helps to balance the handling. The stock 13 mm sway bar is too soft, allows the body to roll excessively in corners and creates excessive understeer. Most people are using the 19.2mm sway bar from the '03 Tiburon GT, but some use the 18mm sway bar from the standard Tib. Either way, you should see a big difference in balance and sure-footedness on the road. These are bolt-on parts and they don't affect the alignment or require any other changes/adjustments.

Yes... there is a slight pull to the left but on occasions it is noticably pulling right. Someone mentioned it could be the strut bearings although once again quite a bit of work to remove and reinstall everything for a "maybe"
It's tough to say if cornering triggers the pull to change as it's not excessive but is noticable.

Exactly... once more major things arrise fine but to date the only items i haven't expected to go would be the transmission speed sensors and a wiper motor, oh and the purge valve. Not too bad a list compared to some out there haha..

much better with front/rear pressures of 36/32. The recommended pressure of 30 psi all around guarantees severe understeer and uneven tread wear on the front tires. You could try them at 34/30 if you like a softer ride.
I've had them at 32/32 recently but i will try a slightly higher pressure to see if that has any effect.

Something that could be worth doing on a newer car but given it's age it's a "let's see how long it last" scenerio now.
jmh_ottawa wrote:

If the strut bearings were loose, you'd hear a loud clunking sound on bumpy roads.

The key is to run more pressure on the end that supports the most weight, the front.

It was just a suggestion in case you were interested in improving the overall handling feel of the car.
My girlfriends 95 Elantra 151K miles has a slight vibration too. IT started when I rotated the tires. Had them rebalanced which helped but still vibrates some I'm almost sure it is a tire problem. Going to unrotate them when I have a chance see what happens
sqdancerLynn wrote:

I'd check for tread separation. I've had tire guys miss small bulges before when I've complained of vibration.
Unluckily theres nothing you can do with separation except replace the tire. If the tire is under warranty it should be pro-rated to the mileage or treadwear depending on the warranty policy for that tire maker.
JS
replying to jmh_ottawa, Ajay wrote:

2004 Elantra had freeway speed wobble on hi-speed acceleration and at 65-70 mph; Dealer diagnosed and extended warranty covered axle replacement which cured the problem. Now, three years later, after a hi-speed panic stop with no collision the problem resurfaced; Hi-speed wobble and vibration 65-70 mph which fades out at 80 mph to a very minor steering wheel vibration. I am looking at another axle replacement to what seems like a design flaw since a panic-stop can deform the axle? Hyundai, any comments?

Have you moved the wheels around to new positions? Is it only steering wheel vibration or do you feel the car vibrate?
Front wheel problems often result in steering wheel vibration while rear wheel problems result in a vibrating seat.
You may need a better shop that cancheck all steering components and linkages.
On Saturday, March 15, 2014 7:18:00 PM UTC-4, Ajay wrote:

I doubt you're looking at an axle issue.
In the initial iteration, you said the problem happened only on acceleration. This is a characteristic of some CV joint issues.
In this iteration, you simply report a vibration while driving that occurred after a panic stop. It's more likely that if you locked up the tires from high speed, there are now flat spots on the tires causing the vibration.