Hyundai Mileage

Page 2 of 2
Matt Whiting wrote:

Yes, width is correct, not diameter. Oops. Don't ask me how I came up with that one....Thanks for setting us straight.
ERM
Eric wrote:

Yes, sometimes the fingers just don't cooperate with the brain!
Matt
Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by wider diameter. Width and diameter are two different dimensions on a tire. A wider tire isn't likely to change the rolling radius much. A tire with a greater diameter will change the rolling radius proportional to the change in diameter compared to the OEM tires. So, if your new tires are smaller in diameter than the OEM tires, they will make more revolutions per mile. This means that your odometer will record more miles per actual mile traveled. So let's say, for example, that your new tires are 5% smaller in diameter than the originals. Your odometer will now record ~105 miles for every 100 actual miles driven. Let's say that before you used 4 gallons for 100 miles or got 25 MPG. Let's say you still use 4 gallons per 100 actual miles. You will have recorded 105 miles on your odometer so when you compute your MPG, it will be 26.25 MPG. However, this is a fictitious number as you really only traveled 100 miles and you really are still getting 25 MPG. So the tires didn't give you better mileage, they just give you the appearance of beter mileage.
Matt
Mark W. wrote:

I have never owned a Hyundai, but am seriously considering one for my next car purchase. The reports of less-than-advertised fuel economy combined with $3/gallon gas have made me switch my focus from the 4-cylinder Sonata to the "mid-size" (per EPA) '07 Elantra, which supposedly will get 28/36 and have an optional SULEV-rated engine. I am scratching my head as to why Hyundai has not yet launched the new Elantra with the fanfare the Sonata and to a lesser extent the Accent got last year.
Fuel economy seems to be a continuing challenge for Hyundai, even with the mega-improvements to most of its models in recent years. For some reason, they just don't stack up to Honda and Toyota in re gas mileage.
Specifically, not only are the EPA estimates slightly lower, but more importantly a Civic or Corolla will come closer to EPA sticker than will a Sonata. (that's a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison, but it holds true among folks I know personally as well as comments I've read online.)
It all depends on how much you need the extra power compared to the higher MSRP and the extra cost of fuel and tune-ups. Also the Sonata V-6 takes 6 quarts of oil, which has caused problems at oil change time....even at a few Hyundai dealers, per posts I've read here.
If you take long trips in the hills with a carful of family members and cargo, or if you have to merge onto a busy highway near LA or Houston each day and then keep up with traffic in the passing lane, the V-6 might be worth it. Otherwise, I'd stick to the 4-cylinder.
Regards, Eric M
Eric wrote:

I believe that GM is the only other car maker that competes well with Toyota and Honda with respect to engine efficiency. Hyundai still seems to lag a little. My best MPG with my Sonata on a trip was 32 MPG, still 2 below the EPA highway average. My other two vehicles will almost exactly match their highway ratings on a trip.

It seems to hold true in most road tests as well. The Toyota models almost always come out the best in "real world" mileage achieved.

I agree. I'm very satisfied with the power of the 4 cylinder in my Sonata. My only regrets are the sensitive throttle and clutch (mostly the throttle). It is the only car I've ever owned that can induce a nasty PIO if you get on a bumpy road of just the right frequency. It takes very little movement of the foot to get a big response from the engine.
Matt
ed hollis wrote: I purchased a 2005 hyundai sontata V-6 two months ago- i decided to check my mileage----I wanted to get a true test with and without airconditioning. I averaged 32 miles mpg on a 100% 275 mile trip averaging between 60-65 miles per hour. -without any air. I was amazed of the miles per gallon average. In the city with the air condition it seems to be much lower. I will soon be returning and will do the same trip with the air to compare.
how does this compare to others
Mark W. wrote:

ed hollis wrote: I purchased a 2005 hyundai sontata V-6 two months ago- i decided to check my mileage----I wanted to get a true test with and without airconditioning. I averaged 32 miles mpg on a 100% 275 mile trip averaging between 60-65 miles per hour. -without any air. I was amazed of the miles per gallon average. In the city with the air condition it seems to be much lower. I will soon be returning and will do the same trip with the air to compare.
how does this compare to others
Mark W. wrote:

I get about 30mpg on long stretches at 65-70mph, with AC running.
You're a better man than me running 275mi without air. -
Bob

Whoops! Noticed you have a 2005. Never mind. :) -
Bob