K&N vs. Factory Filters

If you all remember, about a year ago, I fought hard for K&N filters. Got a lot of static and even a link to page that showed the use of a $250k machine
to disprove my beliefs. Well, I have to say, with humility, that I no longer support the use of these and here's why. I posted the below on alt.autos.ford and got some early feedback:
OP - Just an FYI. My dad and I have uncovered a long standing CEL with "Sally". After doing the normal things, we finally uncovered the issue- oil/residue from a K&N filter on the MAF sensor. He's been without the filter for 2 years now and with a CEL light. After cleaning the sensor with a cotton swab and alcohol, she runs like there's no tomorrow and the light is gone. I once stood strong on these filters, but have since changed my thoughts. I'm not downing them, but after a lot of research, I think I'll sacrifice a bit of airflow for dry filtration.
So, I got the following reply:
you think that is bad, try running a K&N on a diesel engine.
or better, yet, don't. the K&N lets very small particles pass, causing a condition on a diesel engine called "dusting". basically what happens is the small particles the filter lets pass smoothes the edges of the turbocharger vanes, wearing them down, which reducing it's effectiveness. and if left on long enough will blow the engine up.
I stand corrected...and please accept my apologies....
Steve in AZ
Steve Richards wrote:

Not to worry Steve. We knew you were an idiot back then.
Uh, thanks???!!!!
:-)

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

But not nearly as dumb as a webtv user. :-)
But not nearly as dumb as a webtv user. :-) LMAO Good One ! Striker