Power steering on 2004 Santa Fe 4WD 3.5L

I just bought a 2004 Santa Fe LX 4WD 35L with 22,560 miles, leather seats etc. for $14,300 plus tax and tags.
My question is about the steering. It feels like it steers like a truck
even though it has power steering. I can steer it, but it just seems like it takes too much effort.
For example, while riding on a routine curve in an Interstate highway, it takes some effort to hold the steering in place while it is slightly turned (to follow the curve in the road) and to keep it from returning to the straight position.
Is this somewhat typical for this model?
Is there anything that can be done with the power steering to make it steer more easily?
I'm not sure how much effort you're describing, but I've never noticed anything on the Santa Fe that seemed abnormal.
That said, it's a heavy vehicle. It won't steer like a small car with power steering.
If the steering system is working properly, you won't be able to do anything to make it easier other than add more air pressure to your tires.

I can't really describe how much effort is involved. It just seems hard to steer -- at least harder than it should be. I work at a job where I drive a lot of different Ford Explorers and Expeditions and the power steering on all of them seems effortless.
I'm beginning to wonder if it's because the Santa Fe has a 3.5L engine. The other 3.5L I test drove seemed to also have similar hard steering, but worse than the one I bought. Both of the 3.5L vehicles had 4WD. Maybe I'll have to try driving a few 2.7L Santa Fe's and see if the steering feels different than the 3.5L.

There is always a problem describing hard versus soft, or hot and cold, because it is so subjective.
My GM cars can be steered with one finger. My Sonata, as well as some other imports, do take more effort by comparison. I've seen the GM cars criticized for being too light because they are set up for 80 year old ladies and the German imports are for real driving enthusiasts. . You may want to get someone familiar with your car to drive it and determine if it is just your feeling or if there is truly a problem with the steering mechanism.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

This is exactly how cars are *supposed* to drive.
When a car doesn't return to center (or damned close to it) when you take your hand off, something is wrong. Anything else should be considered abnormal drag on some part of the steering mechanism.
I have noticed in the past that if you leave the wire disconnected on the power steering pump (I drive a 2.7 FWD, so things may be slightly different on yours) the power steering system doesn't feel right. I'm guessing that wire has something to do with the speed-sensitive steering boost.
JS
BETA-2K wrote:

The wire is for the engine management system. When you're operating the steering, it bumps the idle a little bit.