removing oil pump on 1995 Hyundia Elantra

I'm working on a 1995 Hyundia Elamtra trying to remove the oil pump the chilton manual I have say something about removing the left side cylinder block plug to hold the left counter balance shift from turning to be able to remove pully, can anyone please tell me where to look for this plug because the book doesn't say much. thanks so much for any help loyalspirit

Reply to
loyalspirit

There's a metal plug over the bolt for the rear balance shaft. It'll be above the sprocket for the rear balance shaft. I believe you'll need to remove the sprocket to get it off. You'll also need a special tool (or a hammer and punch) to unscrew it to get to and remove the nut.

Reply to
hyundaitech

thank you for your reply on my oil pump problem I well give that a shot when,I get home tonight from work, thanks again "hyundiatech" is there anything we should check was told that when the car got warm it would stop pumping oil but was fine when cold.

Reply to
loyalspirit

Any sludge in the engine? It's possible the pickup screen is partly obstructed.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I did look at the bottom of the oil screen and it looks like it could have something in the screen,the inside of the oil pan is real clean, thanks again for the help

Reply to
loyalspirit

I did look at the bottom of the oil screen and it looks like it could have something in the screen,the inside of the oil pan is real clean, thanks again for the help

Reply to
loyalspirit

Hi again I just check the bottom of the pickup screen and it is very clean and the pickup tube is open also,so it seem that I'm back to the oil pump the people who I got the car from say that when it is cold the oil pumps fine it is when,it gets hot it stops pump so to me it sounds like it would be the oil pump. If you have any thoughs would you please let me know,again thanks for you time it is alot of help.

Reply to
loyalspirit

Hi looking at the Email I recieve from you on

9/19/2005, you say that there's a metal plug over the bolt for the rear balance shaft.Is it the one that is above the oil pump drive gear if so, without the oil pump drive gear out of the way I don't think the metal plug will come off but that is the problem I'm having is trying to keep the left side counter balance from turning,that is why the chilton manual I have say something about remove the left side cylinder block plug and insert a screwdriver into the hole to hold the balance shaft from turning this is only on the 2.0L (vin p ), 1995 1.6L (vin R ), 1.8L (vin M )engines, so if it is the one you are talking about do you have any thoughs on how to do this. Thank you for your Time and help on this matter I do appreciate it very much.
Reply to
loyalspirit

You've got it right on the plug. It's right above the oil pump drive sprocket. I usually loosen the nut on the sprocket with the timing belt still on, thus allowing a way to hold the engine from turning. You could grab the sprocket with pliers or something, but the metal is very soft and you'll probably damage it, requiring you to repair or replace it.

Reply to
hyundaitech

ok thank you for your time and help I appreciate it very much and now that I know where to start again it well go fast, again thank you for your time and help,if I have any more questions I well let you know.

Reply to
loyalspirit

HI I've got the oil pump off the car all oil holes are open and the drive gear and the driven gear look fine,so I'm at a lost now the people who I got the car from say that when the motor got hot the oil pump would stop pumping oil and after it sit and cool down it was fine unilt it got hot again and the oil was change mileage when do.your help would be very appreciated thanks for youe time. thanks loyalspirit martin richey

Reply to
loyalspirit