SEATBELT CHIME

HELLO
I HAVE A 2006 SONATA V6 WHICH I JUST LOVE EXCEPT....FOR THE MOST ANNOYING NOISE EVER. THE CHIME THAT GOES OFF EVERY 6 SECONDS WHEN NOT WEARING YOUR SEATBELT. IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOO LOUD AND ANNOYING!!!!!!!! I
ASKED THE DEALER TO TURN IT OFF THEY SAID IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO DO SO. I DOUBT THAT IS THE TRUTH. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF AND HOW IT COULD BE DISABLED????
THANK-YOU,
--
Posted at author's request, using fully moderated
http://www.AutoBoardz.com/Sonata-forum-91.html interface

SoMeThInG iS WrOnG wItH yOuR sHiFt KeY oR tHe "InTeRfAcE" iS mEsSeD uP. pLeAsE cHeCk It.
Anyway, it's pretty hard, and not really advisable to kill the chime - after all, it only goes off if the door's open or your seatbelt is unbuckled, and the key is in the ignition. But, it is really loud. Several here have found, and taped over the opening in the chime. It's still there, but it reduces the level below the level at which OSHA requires earplugs.

First - find your shift key.
Your dealer was not lying to you - they can't disable any safety features. You can, but they can't. You're right - it is loud and annoying. Your best bet is to either tape something over the chime to lower its output, or to pull the wires. I can't tell you where the chime is located because I've never searched for it on our Sonata. I may at some point, but right now my wife drives it more than I and as long as she does not complain, I'm not going to create any more "projects" for me to worry about. You should be able to track it down though. It may take some crawling around but I have to believe you can find it in there.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
muskie wrote:

muskie wrote:

THE EASIEST WAY TO AVOID HEARING THE CHIME IS TO WEAR YOUR SEATBELT!

http://www.AutoBoardz.com/Sonata-forum-91.html interface

Well now that's about a silly answer. We all know how loud the chime is and is is indeed annoying when it's chiming away incessantly. There are perfectly legitimate times and reasons to be in the seat with the key on where being strapped in is not either necessary or appropriate.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Just kidding Mike, What with the extreme shouting going on in the discussion I just wanted to let go....
Mike Marlow wrote:

Yeah - that's legit. I think that might be very close to the reason why I posted my response.