Sudden death ('90 Excel GL)

Please read all the symptoms:

Great running 1990 Hyundai with fuel injection and an automatic transmission. I've had it since brand new, keep it tuned and oiled, etc.

Driving to work three weeks ago and *suddenly* it just died taking off from a red light. No warning and no gradual death, just died and I had to put it in neutral and coast to a side street.

No gasoline smell. Nothing disconnected from the distributor to the ignition coil. All wires look good.

Cranked great, plenty of juice to the coil and distributor cap, but *no* spark at all. So, I replaced the ignition coil, the connector to the distributor cap, the distributor cap itself.

Started right up.

Drove for two days, then it died *suddenly* again. Exact same symptoms. To make a long story short, it has happened inumerable times since then: runs for an hour or five minutes or half a day, and then

*suddenly* stops running, even though it cranks fine: *zero* spark. Again, it cranks fine, but no firing.

Test for bad fuel pump by spraying starter fluid into the large hose from the air cleaner to the fuel receptacle: nothing. This tells me it's not the (new) fuel pump. Must be electrical, but where? Computer?

I'm hoping that anybody reading this will look at all the facts I'm posting before responding: cranks fast and furious.. but no spark. Then, after replacing the coil and wires (wire from coil to cap replaced three times) it'll start and run for a while. Why does it run for a while on a new cable then die again??

Help with this would be greatly appreciated as this is my only car (I'm poor). :O)

Reply to
oiving

I'm not familiar with Hyundais yet as I just bought my first one a couple of months ago, but this sounds like a sensor problem. My first guess would be a crank position sensor which most cars (again, I'm not sure about Hyundai in particular) have to use to time the spark. No CPS signal, no spark. Often sensor failures can be temperature related which is why the car will run for a while when cold and then die at random times later.

You may have to take it to a dealer or competent private garage or at last invest in a factory service manual which well provide troubleshooting tables and procedures to check the various sensors involved with the ignition system.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Does that year of car use a Hall Effect transducer in the distributor? I'm not sure if you're saying it has no high voltage spark from the coil or if you're saying it has no spark at the plug when removed and grounded.

If it's not getting any spark out of the coil itself then I'd be looking for a crankshaft or camshaft sensor.

I'm sorry - but I'm not familiar with this year of car, but these are thoughts that are simply based on the way things typically work. I certainly would not keep throwing coils and wires at it and I wouldn't be looking a the fuel system at all.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Just had the same problems with our 1997 Exel, dealer worked it out to be turned out to be a crank angle sensor as listed on his repair sheet, no further problems.

GB

Reply to
gb

Your car has an optical crank/cam sensor in the distributor. Sounds like the classic symptoms. You may want to see if there's anything you can do to verify, since this is an expensive component.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"oiving" ha scritto nel messaggio news:Xns9766D93C785Aloxbagelsorg@24.94.170.102...

there should be a small transistor (ignition power module) on the coil bracket, be sure this to be tested and eventually replaced, before spending money for more expensive issues. Also check (if there is any, i'm not sure because of usa model difference) about anti-noise condensator, shoud be located around intake manifold, it works for tachometer and many times annoys ignition.

by, buzz

Reply to
Buzz