where to get first oil change

2005 elantra. nearing 3000 miles, and I'm close to my first oil change. Should I go to the dealer for the oil change or go to a different oil change store?
where did you go for your first oil change?

took ours in at 3000 or so miles. took it to the dealer.
--
Andrew D. Sisson

Recommend dealer so they get to know you as "their" customer. In addition: you will get oem filters so if trouble occurs later. I tend to use oem for the first 10,000 miles or so. In any even I'd stay away from the Jiffy-lube type places always.
<<I'd stay away from the Jiffy-lube type places always>>
Why is that? I've been taking my vehicles there since 1986. All 3 have 120,000+ miles and have never needed any engine work other than tuneups. All 3 still run fine, and one of them is 20 years old. The other two are 13 and 8 years old.
John Cowart
bo peep wrote:

The issue is one of quality of work. Some of these places are OK, but some are careless and hire poor quality workers, use junk filters, etc. I'd rather change my own oil, so I KNOW how it was done.
snipped-for-privacy@usa.com wrote:

Why not do it yourself? It takes all of 15-20 minutes.
On 11 Nov 2005 22:52:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@usa.com wrote:

The dealer, took mine in at 1000 miles, then again at 5000, then did all the recommended services through the dealer. A few more dollars but it does help with any warranty problems that might show up later. May help later with a resale, but doubt it.

Definately get most of your oil changes and other service done at the same dealer, that way when you run into problems, they tend to want to take care of you more. Expecially if your barely out of warranty and something major goes wrong, if you have a strong service history, they are more likely to "good will" the repairs. if you just go in when you have that problem, they wont really care. happens all the time at the dealership I work at.
Paradox wrote:

If you bought the car there, they damn sure better care! Where you have it serviced - or if you DIY - makes NO DIFFERENCE in the warranty as long as you fill in the service dates in the maintenance log that came with the car. If you follow the specified schedule, you're covered. Keeping receipts is not a bad idea, but it's not required either. If any dealer gives you grief about it, go right to Hyundai customer service.
My dealer was really good when I bought my Elantra last year. They knew that I did most of my own work on my previous Hyundai (Excel) and he told me right up front everything I needed to know about the warranty and DIY work (I already knew, but I was impressed that they did it anyway). It's important to know your rights when it comes to service and warranty, so you know if/when a dealer is screwing with you. BTW, don't let them tell you that you need to change the oil any more frequently than every 7500 miles as specified in the maintenance log. That's all that's required for the warranty. Some dealers will try to sell you unnecessary oil changes every 3000 or 5000 miles, as it's a "cash cow" for them.
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 21:09:08 GMT, Brian Nystrom

Some cash cow? What is it?, $40 tops? Worth it get all that swarf and other engine debris out of your new engine.
irwell wrote:

The first recommended oil change is at 3750 miles. I agree that changing it at say 1000 mile and again at 3750 and 7500 is not a bad idea. Once you get to 7500, you only need to change it every 7500 as specified in the maintenance log. What I was getting at above is that some unscrupulous dealers will lie to customers and tell them that they MUST change their oil more frequently than the specified service interval in order to maintain the warranty. It's just a scam for the dealer to make a few extra bucks (oil changes are a high profit item). Changing it more frequently than necessary is nothing but a waste of money and natural resources, and it's NOT necessary to maintain the warranty.