First oil change. When?

The chief mechanic at the dealer where I bought my 2005 coupe recommended that I get my first oil change at 1000 miles. Is this necessary? He is a long time friend of mine and I have bought a 1987 Vet and 2 Olds Auroras there so I sort of trust his wisdom.

Reply to
Ron Stewart

what does it say in your owners manual?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Reply to
Bob I

My 2004 manual said it didnt need changing until the service light came on...that was 7500 miles.

Phil

Reply to
PM

I changed mine at 1800 miles. Wanted to see how different and difficult to do. Its the same. Will wait until DIC tells me to do the next one. If you are getting a free oil change why not do it? Maybe there are metal shavings that got in, though not likely.

Reply to
benf802961

I just bought a 2005 C6 Coupe and the dealer was adamant that I not change the oil initially until at least 3000 and said it wouldn't hurt to go to

7500. I have always changed the oil at 3000 and less on the first oil change but the dealer said with Mobil 1 the oil is hardly used at less than 3000. I double checked this with my son who is an engineer at General Motors and he said definitely don't change it before 3000 and then after go by the sevice reminder.
Reply to
Rick

Reply to
Ron Stewart